Make a donation

Author Topic: Saggy Headlining  (Read 2203 times)

Offline hoon98

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Saggy Headlining
« on: May 09, 2020, 12:19:22 pm »
Just picked up an 06 gti, which I'm in love with already but there are a few things that need sorting on it.

One of those things is a small patch of the headlining behind the sunglasses holder which has started to sag  :confused:

I don't see the point of removing the whole thing as it's only a small area, but does anyone know a way to sort it out?

Thanks  :happy2:

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
Re: Saggy Headlining
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 09:36:33 pm »
I can’t help you out directly but I have the exact same issue. I had thought to try some spray adhesive and see if I can stretch it far enough to be back under the sunglasses case but I haven’t tried it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hoon98

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 12:51:36 pm »
I can’t help you out directly but I have the exact same issue. I had thought to try some spray adhesive and see if I can stretch it far enough to be back under the sunglasses case but I haven’t tried it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that idea had crossed my mind!

Thanks for the reply and please update if you try it. Would be interesting to know how it turns out!  :smiley:

Offline joeb

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 01:57:29 am »
I tried this using spray adhesive the other day on my 05 gti. It stretched back alright, expect I sprayed too much glue in some places and it started seeping through the headliner. I had to use some acetone to wipe it off, IPA wouldn't cut it.

The headliner looks pretty average now. For next time I'd definitely get another set of hands to help out with holding masking and the headliner, whilst the other person sprays. Oh and be much more careful with how much I'm spraying! Also before you do it make sure to vacuum/scrape off the bits of old foam between the headliner and the roof.

I took the whole sunglasses and dome light unit out. It wasn't difficult and it makes it easier for stretching the headliner back into place.

Offline hoon98

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 06:31:47 pm »
I tried this using spray adhesive the other day on my 05 gti. It stretched back alright, expect I sprayed too much glue in some places and it started seeping through the headliner. I had to use some acetone to wipe it off, IPA wouldn't cut it.

The headliner looks pretty average now. For next time I'd definitely get another set of hands to help out with holding masking and the headliner, whilst the other person sprays. Oh and be much more careful with how much I'm spraying! Also before you do it make sure to vacuum/scrape off the bits of old foam between the headliner and the roof.

I took the whole sunglasses and dome light unit out. It wasn't difficult and it makes it easier for stretching the headliner back into place.

Great thanks, I'll give it a go!

Offline PirelliAu

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 08:25:29 am »
Just youtube headlining replacement videos. Basically you have to pull out the whole roof panel out, remove the old fabric, get rid off the old foam and glue, recoat with new foam and glue and new material. Then stick the panel back in. That is the proper way to fix it. Honestly not worth the hassle doing it yourself, just take it to a upholstery place and they can sort you out for pretty cheap (got mine done for 250aud in australia) as they have the expertise and tools to do it most efficently. Doing it yourself first time can take the whole day and can be very fustrating!

Offline PirelliAu

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 08:27:29 am »
I suggest doing the whole thing at once as it'll save you the future hassle and it'll only get worse! But if you juist want temp fix, bobby pins get the job done. Temp glue will just fail again as the old foam will get in the way and it often seeps through the material.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 08:48:31 pm »
Drooping headliner material was a thing on early GTIs but VW addressed it on later cars.  The best fix is to get a new headliner from VW as it will be the updated version but it will be major, major ££s.  Otherwise, take the whole thing out and repair it with contact adhesive.  As Hicks said to Ripley, it's the only way to be sure.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D