Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 gti on 95 ron fuel  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Ford 2

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Mk5 gti on 95 ron fuel
« on: May 12, 2020, 05:51:59 pm »
Hi lads. Sorry I lost my logins so I'm on a new account. Anyway I have a quick question. Been from ireland we only have 95 Ron tripe so that's what we have to use. Anyway my car. It's a bwa lump and I have a ram air kit and a miltek downpipe into an unknown cat. I suspect the cat to be a bit of a dud but today I put the car onto the dyno. I'll try upload the graph. Now we only done 1 run so maybe a little more to be made. But I came away at 186bhp and 183ft or torque. I'm not sure what gear he ran but I'll assume it was 4th. Now I suspect the dv might be a bit funny. It's a rev g. And I changed the PCV also but sometimes I do get hesitation under load. I'll try get vcds but that's not terribly easy over here. It's not been for a map yet. Also the car is about 225km on the clock. It does gps verified 0-60 in 6.9 but I'm not the best at launching and mpg seems about normal. I know my whole life story is useless but I'll put the picture up and see if anyone can spot a smoking gun. Thanks

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:04:32 pm by Ford 2 »

Offline Ford 2

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
Re: Mk5 gti on 95 ron fuel
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 06:12:13 pm »

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 07:55:14 pm »
I would want to look at the fault/error codes, the fuel pressures for high and low, the mass air g/s, and boost. Lambda as well. For the fuel pressures and boost, I would look at both target and actual. All to simply confirm those are OK. Hesitation felt under full or near full load usually point to fueling pressures lacking, boost, or ignition. So with ignition, there's spark plugs and coils. What have you installed currently for coils and plugs? Genuine VW OEM or OEM replacements? Exactly which plugs are installed currently? Their gap?
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Ford 2

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 08:06:28 pm »
Hi thanks. I'll go through the vcds stuff when I can find someone to do it. As per the coil packs and plugs. Just before I went on the dyno I put on the red ones from awesome. So fresh out of the box. And the below plugs used. Not 100% sure these are great plugs but were recommended to me. No fault codes. The old plugs ran lean. Badly in my eyes and I got lean codes. But once I changed the air box I've not had that so may have been something to do with the old air filter set up. Leak or the likes

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 08:08:43 pm by Ford 2 »

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 11:28:46 pm »
Bosch FR5KPP332S are a heat range 5 plug and a 0.028" gap...the gap is good but the heat range may be an issue. Stock is a 6 heat range and those tuned use 7 and sometimes 8.

Also, are the red top coils genuine Audi R8 coils or aftermarket Red Top coils? If Genuine Audi R8 coils...the plug gap should be smaller say 0.024" to 0.025". If just Red Top aftermarket coils, the plug gap is good but the heat range should be 6 or 7. Many use these; NGK BKR7EIX...I prefer NGK PFR7B.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 09:03:14 am »
Tbh I would have though that a 12+ year old car with 225,000km on the clock that losing just 14 hp isn't all that bad!

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 04:26:37 pm »
Tbh I would have though that a 12+ year old car with 225,000km on the clock that losing just 14 hp isn't all that bad!
OP...I agree with this. But as you mentioned it stumbles a bit in higher rpms and it is always worth going through to be sure all is tight and optimal. Fuel trim will show signs of wear or air/vacuum leaks and fuel pressures will help see if anything is wearing down in those systems. Best you can do is check all relating to ignition, getting all of that sorted and proper, and find its aged baseline.

Offline Ford 2

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 08:13:09 pm »
Thanks alot lads.. I'm going to change the plugs tommrow. I've took that cat out, put my decat in and it's going for a map next week. It feels much better but still not 100% hight up. I shall report back. Much appreciated
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:18:13 pm by Ford 2 »

Offline dubburke

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 08:01:26 pm »
I would get an intake clean done, it made a difference to my gti mpg and power were up.
remap next week

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 10:38:25 pm »
Bosch heat range is the opposite of the NGK.  The lower the number = hotter.  Grade 5 Bosch is equivalent to NGK grade 7.  Stock plug in Europe is a grade 7 NGK double platinum but they run better on NGK Iridium BKR7EIX plugs.  Originally they did run on a 5 grade Bosch but VAG switched to NGK due to misfire problems. 

95 Ron will likely pull a bit of timing at the top end.  VW map the engines on 98 RON and it even says in the manual 95 RON will reduce the performance a bit, i.e. timing pull.  They run on the edge of knock all the time, even with stock mapping.  Let's not go there with remaps messing with timing.....bad idea.

GTIs made 197hp originally, so 186 on a modest and realistic dyno isn't anything to be worried about but poor running and lumpiness is a concern and should be addressed, which might claw back the missing 10 ponies.  They will likely only make that 197hp on 98+RON anyway to be fair.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Ford 2

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 11:06:35 am »
Does this look ok pre settle in period ? Lowered last night and it appears to be a tad high in the front ? Excuse the dirt of the car just back from holidays. Back looks fine.. as for above thanks a mill for the help I'll go through the mods I've done later

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 03:16:27 pm »
It does look a tad high but I do expect it would take a longer than 24 hours to settle in. I’d give it a week or 2 and see if it’s still the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 04:52:15 pm »
Bosch heat range is the opposite of the NGK.  The lower the number = hotter.  Grade 5 Bosch is equivalent to NGK grade 7. 
Thank you for this...I never knew this. I did find a heat range conversion chart and see quite a number of plugs differ in their heat ratings. I see Bosch is the only one with the larger number being the coolest...and the rest are opposite.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 05:31:34 pm »
Bosch heat range is the opposite of the NGK.  The lower the number = hotter.  Grade 5 Bosch is equivalent to NGK grade 7. 
Thank you for this...I never knew this. I did find a heat range conversion chart and see quite a number of plugs differ in their heat ratings. I see Bosch is the only one with the larger number being the coolest...and the rest are opposite.

No probs.  I've never really liked Bosch plugs. The engines I've used them in have always felt slightly less energetic compared to NGK.  Can't really put my finger on it and it's not a night/day difference......but you can feel it none the less.  The only Bosch plug I liked was the old Audi RS2 plug, F5DP0R iirc.  That was a great plug in all manner of turboed VW engines  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 08:58:35 pm »

No probs.  I've never really liked Bosch plugs. The engines I've used them in have always felt slightly less energetic compared to NGK.  Can't really put my finger on it and it's not a night/day difference......but you can feel it none the less.  The only Bosch plug I liked was the old Audi RS2 plug, F5DP0R iirc.  That was a great plug in all manner of turboed VW engines  :happy2:
I know what you mean. The plug I like the most for my K04, because it has a feel that differs and never stumbles, is the NGK PFR7B.