Make a donation

Author Topic: Most Comfortable Suspension Setup  (Read 3887 times)

Offline OllieL

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
Most Comfortable Suspension Setup
« on: May 16, 2020, 05:18:14 pm »
Hi all

My car has been lowered on 50mm springs and the ride can be quite harsh.

We are expecting a baby and I am hoping to refresh the suspension to make it as comfortable as possible.

Now one route would be standard new equipment, but 16 years after release there must be something out there which is better for this job!

Not really worried about the drop particularly, id not be worried if I was standard height, as long as the car was a nicer ride.

Had been looking at a Vogtland fixed height kit after hearing great things, thought maybe the 35MM kit?

Otherwise maybe the AP kits or Even the Racingline kits (although they seem rather expensive for what they are from what I’ve read).

The car is mainly used for commuting, although it would be nice for it to handle the odd B road blast well.

Any advice appreciated.
I have till August to sort this out : )

Ollie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=nr98f8jg8rcbgo00tqm159gf77&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Most Comfortable Suspension Setup
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 05:41:23 pm »
Anything other than OEM is gonna mean a harder ride....

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 06:57:39 pm »
Agree - you’re probably better off just going for original refresh and overhaul. If you’re still on the original shocks then just changing them will make a big difference but updating the bushes will also help.

Offline OllieL

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 08:27:09 pm »
Thanks both.

I have read user reviews of both racing line and Vogtland stuff suggesting they are actually more comfortably and less ‘crashy’ that new original units.

Which suspension set ups have you guys run in the past?

My Koni orange and HR springs on my other golf are certainly more comfortable than our scirocco on standard equipment at 50K miles

Thanks

Ollie

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 08:45:30 pm »
I’m running Bilstein B8 dampers for Golf MK6 (which are softer than the MK5 version) and H&R lowering springs. This is a comfortable set-up for me.

Offline OllieL

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 09:04:26 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Useful to know.

I’ll continue to do some research

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 06:52:00 am »
KW Street Comfort Coilovers

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2008 Edition 30
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 10:27:06 am »
I’ve just removed some Eibach sport line springs which I found too harsh with the standard dampers.
I fitted the racingline kit as I wanted to do a complete refresh with something more toward the comfort side.
The ride is far more compliant now, I would say it’s a little less crashy than standard but there isn’t much in it.
It’s a very nice kit for the road and does not compromise the handling in any way.
2008 Edition 30, R-Tech Stage 1 plus many other mods.

Offline trackep

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 02:34:45 pm »
Agree with chimp. VWR kit is perfect for the road, not as crashy as stock, much more compliant and you get a nice subtle drop

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 06:03:24 am »
Another vote for the Racingline kit which I have been using for 4 years, is a great oem+ solution which makes the car more composed without losing any comfort.

Offline Mekaniko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 10:07:02 am »
Does anyone drived a car with Bilsten B8 with Sportline and a car with the VWR?

I think that this is the dilema for a everyday usage car, for what I read the VWR is better and as I need to replace my suspensions probbly I will give them a chance.

Offline fiddlermay2003

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 05:30:53 pm »
Lowered , springs,baby on the way ? Oh dear .If God had meant us to fly he would have given us wings ! Have you thought of standard set up with KONI FSD's ? Transformed my car. A hard ride is fine for the driver but a nightmare for the passengers.

Hope this helps.

Offline OllieL

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 09:10:09 pm »
Lowered , springs,baby on the way ? Oh dear .If God had meant us to fly he would have given us wings ! Have you thought of standard set up with KONI FSD's ? Transformed my car. A hard ride is fine for the driver but a nightmare for the passengers.

Hope this helps.
Open to Options.
Was only going for the 35MM drop as I thought that the springs and shocks would be matched

What dampers could I use with a standard spring (obviously standard, but thought technology may have moved on)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 09:14:03 pm »
-50mm was the problem - bugger all suspension travel, which = Captain Crashiness.

Suspension is the one thing on any car that's impossible to get right for everyone.

Yeah the Racingline kit is OK to a point, but on those days when you're kid free and fancy and full fat hoon, it's waaaaaay too soft.  It's also the only suspension kit I've tried in 30 years of car modifying that caused MASSIVE understeer on a particular corner than not even the stock suspension even noticed, let alone anything else in the aftermarket.   Sure, buy it if you want comfort, but steer well clear for fast road driving.  It's just some cheap brand repainted in black to seem more premium than it really is.  Mine arrived with paint chips revealing orange underneath.  ST maybe? Or cheap Konis?

If it were me, I'd get a better quality kit with minimal to no lowering.  You can run MSS springs on OEM shocks at standard ride height, or go for a better quality coilover kit.....but as others have said, I think maybe OEM kit might be the best option for kid duties.......but I guarantee the day you take it out for a Sunday thrash, you'll regret that decision  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 12:55:57 pm »
Following this thread as I'd like to do the same sometime this year.
Car is a daily and has to contend with country roads so I need a compromise really.
Was thinking about VWR maybe after seeing a couple of you like them but Pudding has sown a seed of doubt. :signLOL: