Make a donation

Author Topic: Any VW technicians in this forum?  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Coose

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Any VW technicians in this forum?
« on: May 20, 2020, 01:45:24 pm »
Hi all.

Was wondering if there any VW technicians active in this forum in need of some advise and would really like to get an opinion on a few issues I'm having with my MK5 GTI. Or at least someone who knows these cars inside out. Would be appreciated.

thanks
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 01:50:48 pm by Coose »

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=68h9ugv1bqof1ktcg8af6bq3o7&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Any VW technicians in this forum?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 03:23:30 pm »
Some more info might be of help... there are a few guys on here who are really up on the TFSI engine.

Offline Coose

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 03:53:04 pm »
Apologies.

Long story short my engine is running very rough and lumpy and also has an intermittent oil pressure issue.

I'm thinking Oil Pressure issue is related to the noise I've checked the oil level all good. Pcv valve is absolutely fine. I'm thinking it's more of an internal engine problem.

Here are some links to some videos I have taken of what I'm experiencing these are my own video's of my own car. Would be great to get some experienced opinions.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 04:27:37 pm by Coose »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 07:07:25 pm »
Oil pressure might be related to the oil pick up pipe in the sump as it's a common problem

Offline Coose

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 07:55:05 pm »
Had the pick up replaced originally I cleaned the one that was already fitted but wasn't confident it was completely unblocked so replaced it with a new one and cleaned the sump out completely.

I very confused by it to be honest could be a balance shaft issue maybe

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 08:35:21 pm »
Possible oil pump

Offline Coose

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 08:54:36 am »
High possiblity it did cross my mind that would mean I'd also have to get the Valence shaft replaced as well right?

Offline Coose

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 10:55:52 am »
Also thinking it could be rod Knock noticed that the links I put in my previous post aren't showing up??

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 10:15:12 pm »
No videos in your post.  You'd know if it was rod knock.  It's a deathly and constant (very loud) knocking from the bowels of the engine at all temps.  These engines aren't known for that to be honest, extremely rare.......but on the flip side, if you have lost oil pressure from worn out bearings.......it's a possibility.

Maybe plumb in a mechanical oil pressure gauge into the oil filter housing to confirm.

Lumpy running on these engines is down to bad injectors 9 times in 10.  Short journeys foul them up.  These engines need frequent high rpm and/or high boost blasts to reduce carbon build up and injector clogging.

Also check the MAF with VCDS if you have it.  The g/s value should fluctuate at idle.  If it's stuck at the same value and no change in engine behaviour when unplugging it with the engine running, it's dead.  Also check the long term and short term fuel trims to out rule any downstream (of the MAF) air leaks.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D