Make a donation

Author Topic: Buying advice needed  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Joeymc

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • I can make things shiney
  • My Ride: Soon!!!!!!
Buying advice needed
« on: May 22, 2020, 08:16:32 am »
So im buying my first GTI and ive narrowed my search down to 2 cars. Im just unsure on which to pull the trigger on.
So the first car is a 2005 Graphite grey 3 door DSG with full grey leather,sunroof,climate control,heated seats as well as the other usual stuff.
The second car is a 2006 Black 5 door 6 speed manual with full cream leather,climate control,heated seats,18 inch wheels and Xenons.

Both cars have roughly the same mileage and will cost the same.Both have very comprehensive service histories.
I have a 5 month old daughter and am unsure on the 3 door due to practicality worries but my wife has an Auris hybrid for most of the baby ferrying. I love the graphite grey but i want the xenons so much too.
My head is fried and im going to make up my mind today either way but any input or advice you guys could offer would be most appreciated

Offline Tonksy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
Re: Buying advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 09:16:59 am »
Only you know which you are leaning toward, but here are some things to look for in each of the cars histories that may help you decide.

Is there a record for any of the following being replaced, cam follower, PCV, DV, cambelt & water pump?  Oil pick-up pipe is another thing to consider.

For the DSG, is there documentation showing that the DSG has been serviced at the required intervals?

Another good thing to check is the MOT history of the car.  Gives an indication as to how it has been kept, and what may currently be required (check the advisories). https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

What tyres are on the car? I tend to assume budget tyres = budget owner.

(3dr looks better ha ha)
2008 Mk5 GTi - DSG

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 10:30:05 am »
You can always buy used xenons and retrofix them, very easy to do.

Offline Lucky ducky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 10:49:01 am »
Cream leather would be out for me

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 11:18:31 am »
I had cream leather in my |Corrado storm bloody nightmare keeping it clean [no sprogs]

Offline Joeymc

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 12:52:20 pm »
Thanks for the reply’s lads. Cream leather doesn’t bother me as I’ve done detailing for 8 years. And the 5 door practicality has kinda convinced me. So I pulled the trigger on the Black car with cream leather and I’m collecting it Sunday. Just got my service parts delivered to my job so I’m a happy camper

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 02:24:12 pm »
I had a 3 door mk4 gti when my kid was at nursery and it is a pain getting them in and out of their car seat. My mk 5 is 5 door.

Offline Joeymc

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 03:24:20 pm »
Im absolutly buzzing here waiting to get it on sunday. Few mods already in the pipeline for it after some preventative servicing. The S3 gear shifter mod id probably gonna be first up along with a K&N panel filter.

Offline Lucky ducky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 10:04:47 pm »
Well done the xenons are really worth it... Have a 3dr painful to get the young fella into his car seat

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 02:22:26 pm »
I had a bmw 2 dr coupe and that was a pain to get the kids in and out but doable so dont let that be the deciding factor. DSG is famtatic and i bought a 5dr gti with dsg and love it. Try to get a car that leaves you a bit of money in case any little bits need doing but its down to your choice. Good luck.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 05:25:24 pm »
I didn't even know the MK5 came with Cream interior. You all have much more options than here in the states.
Much is already said, but check the service and condition for:
1) Cam follower and intake cam tri-lobe.
2) DSG service each 40k miles.
3) Cam belt (includes coolant pump and tension pulleys) each 110k miles. I would include the alternator's tension pulley.
4) Timing chain and tensioner are up to you. Some wait until they self destroy themselves, but consider the possible valve damage if not addressed. I am doing mine next year and it will be between 155k and 160k miles by then.
5) Change the oil and filter often. These are not meant for those extended oil service intervals and should be done each 5k miles at most.
6) All other issues can be dealt with as they reveal themselves. Expect sensor, electrical valves, ignition coils, and PCV failures.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Joeymc

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 05:31:48 pm »
So not the update i hoped to give you guys.
Deal is off. No cambelt record of being done since 2011 in the history. That was the end of that.
Just fed up now. Not gonna bother even looking again for a while. Might just hold off continue saving and try get an edition 30 early next year.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 06:24:24 pm »
Probably for the best. At least you looked into its servicing. On the bright side, it should pay off for you when you find the one that rewards you for your effort. Many simply buy while remaining ignorant to any of this. :drinking:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 06:26:15 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 06:54:55 pm »
So not the update i hoped to give you guys.
Deal is off. No cambelt record of being done since 2011 in the history. That was the end of that.
Just fed up now. Not gonna bother even looking again for a while. Might just hold off continue saving and try get an edition 30 early next year.

Get in touch, might have something to interest you.