Make a donation

Author Topic: Blue smoke and rpm dropping  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Dave4597

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Blue smoke and rpm dropping
« on: May 26, 2020, 09:52:58 am »
Hi everyone, I recently noticed that there is blue smoke coming out of the exhaust (intermittently). Say I'm crusing for a good while then stop at a set of lights as soon as I pull away the car puffs blue smoke (intermittently) then drives normal and no more smoke to be seen.

The car has a 3" turbo back and it's mapped. It done this before it got mapped aswell but wasn't as much.
The machanic told me it can be normal due to the down pipe.. Is that true? but a big amount of blue smoke?
I have done the compression test on all of the cylinders and they are all spot on within the spec as (followed one of the previous threads)

Also when I'm crusing and Im about to stop the rpm will drop sometimes to even 500rpm or lower and the car will stall out of random.

Has anyone ever came across these issues? Help would be much appreciated before I start stripping the engine down.

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: Blue smoke and rpm dropping
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 07:47:00 pm »
F'cked turbo or shot valve guide seals.

Unless you do very frequent oil changes, valve guide seals dry up and turn to plastic and turbo bearings wear out......it's a sad fact of life unfortunately.   

TFSI engines should not and do not chuck out blue smoke, ever.  If they do, either the turbo or the guides are worn out.

If the compression test read OK (how many bars?  Should be 10+) then it's likely the turbo.  Remaps push tired ones over the edge.

The rpm dropping and cut-outs is probably a bad MAF.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dave4597

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:09:09 pm »
F'cked turbo or shot valve guide seals.

Unless you do very frequent oil changes, valve guide seals dry up and turn to plastic and turbo bearings wear out......it's a sad fact of life unfortunately.   

TFSI engines should not and do not chuck out blue smoke, ever.  If they do, either the turbo or the guides are worn out.

If the compression test read OK (how many bars?  Should be 10+) then it's likely the turbo.  Remaps push tired ones over the edge.

The rpm dropping and cut-outs is probably a bad MAF.
Thanks for a quick response!

Sounds like an expensive fix but will be worth it at the end

Compression tests results I got were cylinder 1+2 at 180-185psi and 3+4 180-190psi is that's good enough?

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 08:27:06 pm »
Yeah those readings aren't too bad mate.  New engines see about 200psi, so yours isn't far off.  I suspect it's probably the turbo.  A new one is around £900 so not mega money.

Seriously though, start doing oil changes every 3000 miles with Mobil 1 0-40W and it'll look after your engine for life  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D