Make a donation

Author Topic: Looking For Reflex Silver Wings  (Read 2217 times)

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Looking For Reflex Silver Wings
« on: May 27, 2020, 01:39:37 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've got the classic rust coming through because of that f*cking piece of foam  :fighting:

The bodyshop has quoted me around £600 per side to paint a new wing and blend it in.  Not bad, but he suggested getting a second hand rust free pair of wings as they should match very well colour wise and be much cheaper all in.

So I am having a look around for a pair of rust free wings but am drawing a bit of a blank at the minute.  I've found a promising drivers side wing on ebay, but no luck on near side yet.  Anyone on here got a pair? Or have any leads I could follow up on?

I am aware you can buy a pair of new patent painted wings from ebay for about £200 but as I understand the fit is okay, and the colour match is okay ish - I'd rather get second hand with better fit and match if possible.

Cheers

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: Looking For Reflex Silver Wings
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 03:33:04 pm »
£600 per side would have me running to a breaker to buy some good used ones. Let’s face it, everything else on these cars is old and used isn’t it?

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 04:34:35 pm »
Yeah I agree.  I have called every place I could find breaking a mk5 silver golf.  No one has front wings that aren't rusty! Spent literally hours on the phone earlier.

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 04:55:22 pm »
Have you tried Parts Gateway?

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 04:59:51 pm »
Just put a request on there :)

Offline roryscott30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 12:37:19 am »
I've always changed the body panels from one being broken rather than respray, just yesterday i manged to get 4 doors and a bonnet for my golf gti in same colour for £170 all with no rust. I'm afraid from my experience it just takes patience and doing what you are doing. I also use gumtree and search under breaking eg
https://www.gumtree.com/p/car-replacement-parts/breaking-volkswagen-golf-mk5-tdi-silver-door-boot-bonnet-light-ect-/1370932893

good luck, they will turn up

Offline roryscott30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 12:42:57 am »
Are Jetta wings not the same? Here's a pair from same car
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-JETTA-DRIVER-SIDE-WING-PANEL-IN-SILVER-LA7W/293523183032?hash=item44575855b8%3Ag%3AJv4AAOSwH8VeSrwr&LH_ItemCondition=4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-JETTA-PASSENGER-SIDE-WING-PANEL-IN-SILVER-LA7W/293481049164?hash=item4454d56c4c%3Ag%3A9LAAAOSw3EReSry-&LH_ItemCondition=4

Just ask them to clarify no rust first and i always clean up and paint hammerite or similar on the inside where the rust starts before fitting

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 07:56:51 am »
Thanks!

How are are we that Jetta wings are the same for the golf?  They are in Sheffield which isn't far for me at all. I actually rung these guys yesterday about a golf wing they had, but it was rusty.

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 09:02:27 am »
Ah looking closely at the Jetta wings, they have a swathe line on them that the golf doesn't have.  That's a shame!

I will look into the Gumtree Golf though!

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 09:06:08 am »
As with every other breaking golf - wings were the first thing to go :(

Offline CJMC

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 09:45:25 am »
In the same boat as you mate, same color too!.... noticed a tiny bit of rust a few weeks ago, now its tripled in size, a lot of it you can rub off but def needs replacing... looks like it has COVID....

I have heard decent things about the Lothian wings off eBay, the insurance approved ones...  are they not a great fit?

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 10:06:47 am »
It's hard to know about the eBay ones. I've read in some cases they have rusted to sh*t in a few years. And the colour match is poor. It's hard to know and you won't know the quality for a few years. They only have a 90 day warranty. Which doesn't give me much confidence!

Offline CJMC

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 10:40:40 am »
Thats a good point... i suppose with the colour match you can notice that straight away and send them back if needed (although complete pain in the ass appreciated!).... but yeah once/if rust comes through you are way out of your warranty period..

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 04:31:58 pm »
Thats a good point... i suppose with the colour match you can notice that straight away and send them back if needed (although complete pain in the ass appreciated!).... but yeah once/if rust comes through you are way out of your warranty period..

Mine isn't accelerating too fast to be honest, but it's not looking great.  It's been going for over a year now.  That's the offside.  The near side is just starting to show the very first signs of going.

I managed to find a nearside wing today on eBay and got it bought.  I figured if I'm going to replace one, I might as well do both at the same time.  I just need to find an offside for sale now!

£90 delivered.  Not bad.

Offline CJMC

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 09:22:22 pm »
Nice work - good things come to those who wait and all that! ... hopefully its a decent wing for you pal