Make a donation

Author Topic: Parasitic Battery Drain - Xtrons Head Unit  (Read 1346 times)

Offline tmptrsn

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Parasitic Battery Drain - Xtrons Head Unit
« on: June 08, 2020, 12:06:01 am »
Hi Guys,

I've had my MK5 for coming up to a year now (first car), and pretty happy with it. I installed an Xtrons Head Unit in it as soon as I got it which works amazingly well, gives me full Android Auto, Bluetooth etc.

However, it also seems to have given me a battery drain. It's not something I've noticed too much when I was driving every day, but since lockdown it's become a bit of an issue.

I thought I had wired the unit correctly to prevent this battery drain, but now I am still getting flat batteries if I don't drive the car every 3-4 days, so I think either I've wired it wrong, or that I have a really sh*tty battery (a possibility also).

So, on the head unit wiring, it has this sticker:

IMG-20200607-140543" border="0

At the moment, the RED wire goes to an add-a-fuse ignition switched live in my fuse box.
The YELLOW and BLACK go through the connecting harness to the CANBUS (I think)?

Does anything seem overly wrong with that? I have read loads online about the Canbus needing upgrading in some, have seen some people say to take the Canbus power from the AC unit, others say a fix in the engine fuse box.

I'm going to go with my Multimeter tomorrow to check the engine fuse box to see what the draw is with the engine off, but just looking for preliminary thoughts as to what might be the problem

Thanks in Advance

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: Parasitic Battery Drain - Xtrons Head Unit
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 08:59:53 am »
Disconnect the battery earth put meter or bulb inline there should be no voltage or  bulb wont light if you got power you got a short I had a similar prob at thr front of the fuse box you will see 5 or 6 terminals held on with nuts I had a build up of green corrosion causing a drain wire brush some electrical cleaner job done