Make a donation

Author Topic: Milltek exhaust question  (Read 1640 times)

Offline samuelmem97

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 0
Milltek exhaust question
« on: June 15, 2020, 06:08:00 pm »
Hi people so I have decided I’m gonna get a non res milltek catback. However I have seen that they do one with a ‘smaller volume rear silencer’. What would be the major differences with this and I guess the regular sized one? Anyone have experience with smaller volumed rear silencer? Is there a big difference in sound or Is it purely looks wise? Managed to find one online at ‘cmwheels’ for a very good price.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Milltek exhaust question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 09:07:50 pm »
Hi,

I asked that same question and couldn't find anyone who had both versions. The slim one apparently makes a touch more noise. From what I worked out the slim version (333) is the back box from the diesel system (fitment is the same 2.75 pipework) and the 260 is the regular backbox.

The original rear box hangs below the bumper line too, about 25mm but is normally not all shiny like a new system.

Then when you think even further all the systems need to cross between the rear arms so if you don't see backbox then you'll just see pipework instead. Depending on how low you are of course.
AKS tuning are not a bad price on either at the mo  :wink:

Offline samuelmem97

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 09:26:11 pm »
Thanks for reply mate, yeah I don’t mind it making a little bit more sound to be honest, cause from what I’ve heard, the normal non res milltek system isn’t the loudest anyway! I just don’t really want a great big shiny back box hanging under the bumper lol. Thanks dude will check out aks :smiley:

Hi,

I asked that same question and couldn't find anyone who had both versions. The slim one apparently makes a touch more noise. From what I worked out the slim version (333) is the back box from the diesel system (fitment is the same 2.75 pipework) and the 260 is the regular backbox.

The original rear box hangs below the bumper line too, about 25mm but is normally not all shiny like a new system.

Then when you think even further all the systems need to cross between the rear arms so if you don't see backbox then you'll just see pipework instead. Depending on how low you are of course.
AKS tuning are not a bad price on either at the mo  :wink:

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 12:00:24 pm »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 04:49:11 pm »
Standard back boxes don't hang below the bumper if fitted correctly.  You need to undo the exhaust clamp (there is only one) and tweak it round to align it properly.  Check the condition of the hanger rubbers also.  If they're saggy like grandma's hip huggers, replace them.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 10:38:13 pm »
Pudding, is there no backbox below the bumper line on yours?

This was measured as best as I could with the equipment I had at the time
My oe backbox was 100mm thick in the centre
There is approx 90mm from my bumper line to the heatshield in the centre
There is approx 10mm clearance from the top of the backbox to the heatshield in the centre

My standard backbox had around 25mm below the bumper line. Allowing for the rubbers to sag about 5mm I would say that all adds up.
It fitted nicely.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 11:31:41 am »
Not that I can notice standing at the back of the car mate.  I've also followed my car on the road and couldn't notice it either.  Can't say I've ever seen a rear silencer on a MK5 unless it's a massive aftermarket one, or if someone's fitted an R32 rear bumper.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 06:29:40 pm »
@G-olf hi mate.  I took some pics of my exhaust whilst doing some work on it.  As you can see, the OEM back box does not hang below the bumper  :smiley:

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 08:53:20 am »
Hi,

Perhaps mine was a bit lower then.
The position of the car in that picture is ideal to check, I held a spirit level (level) on the lowest bit of the backbox where it curves down to the centre then measured 25mm from this to the bumper line. It looks lower in the picture from the side?

You couldn't see mine from the back either, depending on camera angle but it was lower when measured.