Make a donation

Author Topic: Aftermarket android head unit - still battery drain issues?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Gwltabb

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Aftermarket android head unit - still battery drain issues?
« on: March 15, 2021, 12:03:41 pm »
Hi, I’m looking into swapping out my factory head unit in my 07 GTTDI for an android one. I know there is potential my car will have the battery drain issue (I am getting it scanned to check the version/software).

There is tonnes of information available on the internet but a lot is many years out of date, I just wondered if anyone knows if the units you buy now come with modules that no longer cause this problem or if this still persists? Also I read rather than swapping out the CAN there is an adapter that can be bought to overcome this instead, again old links no longer work so not sure what this is?

Offline Gwltabb

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Aftermarket android head unit - still battery drain issues?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 12:52:55 pm »
I’ve actually now just realised this might not be an issue with Android HU’s as they come with their own CANBUS module - only an issue upgrading to OEM units?

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: Aftermarket android head unit - still battery drain issues?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 07:48:38 pm »
Yes - the canbus on the head unit confuses the cars gateway - not knowing what to do, rather than putting the head to sleep it keeps giving it power allowing the battery to drain.