Make a donation

Author Topic: Sixteen's Candy White MK5 GTI  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Sixteen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Sixteen's Candy White MK5 GTI
« on: June 23, 2020, 05:13:21 pm »
Hi all, i've been on here a while, but haven't been around much since selling my black MK5 GTI.

Bought my first MK5 (which I think had a members rides thread on here, but can't find it now) back in 2015, from a fellow member on here (Homesqueeze) loved that car, but had to sell. Sold it to my brother-in-law, so saw it often, right up until the moment he wrote it off!  :sad1:

It was a very highly spec'd car; electric folding mirrors with puddle lights, heated tartan interior, armrest, CD in armrest, 1 owner from new, the list went on. It was always looking for a Candy White MK5 GTI, but when this came up for sale, I couldn't say no and the black did look great when cleaned and polished up.

Fast forward to summer 2019 and i'm in the market for a Candy White MK5 GTI again, but this time found one. It's not a particularly high spec, but has everything I wanted:
Cloth/Tartan interior
18" Monza II's
Auto headlight/welcome home function
Armrest
Low owner
Full service history

Haven't done loads yet, with all my cars they go for a service at my local garage, regardless of what the service book says. I've also put on new rear disc shields, along with a powerflex dogmount insert.

First mod was a new Alpine Carplay headunit - makes such a difference to the interior and feels quite stock to me.

The car is completely stock and not owned by an enthusiast, as it didn't even have the seat insert badges, so had to order some.

Latest update is the aerial, which always bothered me, so changed it for a "stubby" version.

(Ignore the state of the paint - haven't had a chance to detail and apply ceramic protection yet)

I'm not planning to do too much, other than update the mechanicals (boring stuff), but I will be needing a new exhaust soon (thinking BCS non power valve) then want to change the headlights to Xenon style, as the original ones are looking tired. I will sand the original ones back and have them lacquered to look new.

I saw a photo of this golf online a while ago and really like the look of it:

Not sure I want to spend £5k or whatever on a set of genuine Porsche Eta Beta Twists/Turbo, so the Dare F6 wheels look like a good option.

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
Re: Sixteen's Candy White MK5 GTI
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 06:18:52 pm »
Very nice - I love the Candy White too and had one before that was stolen and now I’m in a Shadow Blue one for last couple of years. I do still keep an eye out for a Candy White one and was tempted on one about a month back (ED30) but someone got to it before I did so ended up keeping the one I have now. May yet just buy another in time but I ended up buying a 2008 Audi S6 Avant (the 5.2l V10 one) to add to the GTI instead . So I am good for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 06:42:09 pm »
Looks good.   What headubit is that? I'm looking for a new one with Android auto. 

Offline Sixteen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 07:29:06 pm »
Very nice - I love the Candy White too and had one before that was stolen and now I’m in a Shadow Blue one for last couple of years. I do still keep an eye out for a Candy White one and was tempted on one about a month back (ED30) but someone got to it before I did so ended up keeping the one I have now. May yet just buy another in time but I ended up buying a 2008 Audi S6 Avant (the 5.2l V10 one) to add to the GTI instead . So I am good for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Yeah I think the Candy White just works with all the black parts and grille.

That S6 will keep you entertained for sure! Lovely car, and a proper engine 😍

Offline Sixteen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 07:34:55 pm »
Looks good.   What headubit is that? I'm looking for a new one with Android auto.

Thanks, it’s an Alpine SPH-DA130DAB. It’s android compatible and DAB radio (with additional aerial).

It’s 100% worth spending money on a good fitting kit though. Makes life easier and to me, means it looks really OEM when fitted.

I bought this one: https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ctkvw01-vw-amarok-caddy-eos-golf-jetta-passat-polo-double-din-car-stereo-fitting-kit.html?language=en&currency=GBP&tracking=5e3b93d714794&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIluzfscmY6gIV2evtCh15NQqGEAQYByABEgKmYPD_BwE

Offline Sixteen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 05:47:36 pm »
A little admin on the backend.

Before:

After:

Offline Dizzi

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 09:15:25 pm »
What did you use to clean the exhaust up? Mine is exactly the same as what yours was.

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 08:33:25 pm »
The paintwork on the black golf looks like liquid, amazing

Offline Sixteen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 10:42:27 am »
What did you use to clean the exhaust up? Mine is exactly the same as what yours was.

These are exhaust tip covers, they fit directly over the current tips. Mine are way too far gone to save!

I bought these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Chrome-Silver-S-line-Exhaust-Muffler-Tip-for-Audi-Q5-A4-B8-1-8T-2-0T/201863883899?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Offline Sixteen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 10:45:14 am »
The paintwork on the black golf looks like liquid, amazing

Thank you! Black is lovely when it's clean. This was after I had given it a 2-day detail and with a ceramic coating and hydrophobic top-coat. The paint was in fantastic condition anyway, the guy I bought it from (who's on here) had it from new and looked after it VERY well!

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 01:14:49 am »
Great thread! just bought some of the exhaust tips you mentioned but i'm stuck with finding your stereo fascia.

Mine looks like this and the inner part rattles some times...

Yours looks so much cleaner, was it stereo specific or generic? can't find one similar anywhere, thanks in advance!

Offline Dizzi

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 07:34:04 am »

These are exhaust tip covers, they fit directly over the current tips. Mine are way too far gone to save!

I bought these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Chrome-Silver-S-line-Exhaust-Muffler-Tip-for-Audi-Q5-A4-B8-1-8T-2-0T/201863883899?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Cheers bud, mine are exactly the same as yours and i can't see anyway of saving them either  :grin: