Make a donation

Author Topic: Console bushes  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Console bushes
« on: June 23, 2020, 11:24:14 pm »
Been looking at upgrading the front console bushes but if you have done this upgrade you will know there is a chance of the bolts stripping or snapping so as I looked into it more I see people have filled the with polyurethane filler etc

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
Re: Console bushes
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 08:03:47 am »
Fitted powerflex console last year. I now have a pair of oem consoles and floflex bushes to fit this week :smiley:

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 11:53:30 am »
I see people have filled the with polyurethane filler etc
If you were making this as a new bush it probably would work, you could even choose your own shore value for the material -but that would need everything off the car to make it.  I wouldn't think filler in and around the existing goosed bush would last.
The 16mm bolts just bind up with alloy corrosion dust in the thread - I managed to snap 3 out of 4 on mine
I was super careful with the 3rd one, it started winding out OK, as soon as it started to tighten up I wound it back in for it to start binding in that direction too. Ended up with less and less thread travel until it was stuck solid.
The new bolts (Febi 39231 are all 3 per side, only £5 on ebay) have been lathered in copper grease in the hope that it will leave little or no space for corrosion - I don't like this as it changes the torque value, I have just tightened to the given torque but not angle tightened.
If you don't have the patience or ability to drill out the sheared bolts, the good news is side suframes are currently only £15 to £20 each on ebay - if you are paranoid you could invest in a set ready to go on, if you don't use them sell them on

Fitted powerflex console last year. I now have a pair of oem consoles and floflex bushes to fit this week :smiley:
I have experienced premature failure with powerflex stuff in the past, is that the case for replacement?
I hope floflex are the solution for you - but all the reviews I have seen of their products are not good

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 12:45:20 pm »
 Did read a few negatives regarding floflex reliability. Going to keep a close eye on them when installed :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 08:10:52 pm »
SuperPro rear wishbone consoles, stock front bushes (they don't wear out).

I've tried quite a few urethane bush brands over the years and nothing comes close to SuperPro.  Their material doesn't suffer the usual creep and set problems of cheaper brands.

I've never had any problems with bolts shearing off, but if you live by the sea or up north where they use lots of road salt, maybe a different story.  Just use a heat and gingerly ease the bolt out if you think it's going to sheer.

I recommend the a deadset kit from TyrolSport or ECS tuning and lock that subframe solid.  No point fitting uprated bushes if the subframe is moving around.  Negates the benefits. 

Also a recommend a pair of SuperPro camber ball joints to trim the camber, but you may not be able to achieve exactly the same camber on both sides after the subframe is locked into place with a collar kit.....but it'll be close enough.  You're not going to feel a 0.3 degree difference on the road.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D