Make a donation

Author Topic: Julessy's Reflex Silver GTI  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Julessy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Julessy's Reflex Silver GTI
« on: June 24, 2020, 10:23:19 pm »
Hello all, this is my 2005 Reflex Silver Golf GTI. I have owned the car since October last year with very little fault. I am planning to very slowly mod it (only just started saving enough money). So the current 'modifications' were mostly done by the previous owner and include
  • MK6 Light Switches
    Krystal Gel Plates
    MK6 Light Switches
    Ariel Delete
    Part Alacantara Steering Wheel
    Stage 1 Remap (Unknown Origin)
    Milltek Non-Res Catback Exhaust
20200404_154134 by Julian Hale, on Flickr
The car when it's clean.
20191027_142922 by Julian Hale, on Flickr
The Interior
20191222_133137 by Julian Hale, on Flickr
Me and a couple of my friends.

There's a few things I want to do the car, the small version of the list being
  • Fixing the small rust spots and rust on the boot
    Sorting out the lacquer peel on the arches
    Getting new wheels (current ones are badly curbed and I'm starting to hate Monzas)
    A proper remap from R-Tech (due to concern of the origins of the current one)
I'm also buying my mates Eibach lowering springs for cheap as seen on the black GTI aoove and I'm soon to invest in some Pilot Sport 4 tires as I bought the car on some crap budgets and due to a puncture a couple months back is running on mismatched front tires  :ashamed:.
MK5 GTI Reflex Silver - Stage 1 Remap (Unknown Origin) - Milltek Exhaust

Offline christonabike

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Julessy's Reflex Silver GTI
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 07:28:00 pm »
Very nice! Cant beat a new car plus its silver and a little different from the norm. :smiley:

Offline Julessy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 09:26:42 pm »
Image Spam Warning: So I haven't posted here for a while but I have been busy enjoying then not enjoying the Golf. So I will start with the first time I drove the car for fun since getting back on the road after my shoulder injury. I took the golf out for a quick meet up to get some photos with one of my friends who has an MR2.
20200706_202153 by Julian Hale, on Flickr
20200706_203104 by Julian Hale, on Flickr

On the way back after some spirited driving I noticed the clutch felt a bit soft and the suspension seemed to have developed a squeak, I got home, left the car parked for a couple days and thought nothing off it. So then I go out for a bit of a longer trip around 20 minutes down the road to meet more friends for some more photos and spirited driving.
DSC_1096 by Julian Hale, on Flickr
20200707_185631 by Julian Hale, on Flickr
DSC_1153 by Julian Hale, on Flickr

So by now I'm starting to really notice something is wrong so a few days after this I got a quote from my local garage for how much it would cost to get either new uprated shocks/uprated suspension kit and a new uprated clutch. I was expecting a big number but when I saw how big I pondered on just trying to get rid of the golf in its current state and buying something else. I got quoted around 3k for all the parts supplied and fitted plus new wheel bearings and tracking etc. I decided to go ahead and book it in with them for the start of august due to the hassle of trying to find a different car then wondering if I'd have a similar problem again as with any old car especially when modified parts wear out need replacing etc so rather than go through the hassle of trying to find another car that seemed in good condition I decided to fix the Golf. So it will be going in soon then hopefully all I will have to worry about in the near future is tires.

These faults haven't stopped me driving for enjoyment though, I've been to a few meets and probably covered around 300 miles since I first noticed the problems but the clutch is definitely on borrowed time now having not much bite left.  :grin:
DSC_1209 by Julian Hale, on Flickr
20200719_101008 by Julian Hale, on Flickr

Offline Julessy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 01:19:01 pm »
So quick update. Been in the garage, clutch is now sorted I went for a uprated Sachs clutch. The garage I take the car to ordered the B14 Suspension to arrive for when my car was in but for some reason Bilstein never sent it so it will probably be another 4 week wait for that. So even after spending all this money on the GTI, it is still giving me grief, I took it out yesterday and didn't think to check the tires, I got a few miles up the dual carriageway and realised I had a puncture. So with some help from a friend who I was travelling with we got the spare tire on and we went to the local pub rather than the one we were headed to. So then we noticed the car sounded rough like the exhaust was blowing from around the front/middle area and was making a whistling sound. Now I notice when under load the car sounds very diesel like bear in mind it had a new cat back exhaust fitted a few months ago. So I'm going to get the exhaust checked out when I get some new tires which will hopefully be soon as I go back to work next week.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 02:43:26 pm »
I take it the tyre pressure warning system doesn't work either then?

Offline Carpy25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 40
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 06:54:18 pm »
Hi nice looking silver GTI quick question your 05 plate ? If it isn’t a private plate you glass looks green tint my 55 plate has the early blue glass expected yours to have it as well maybe mine was Lying in a field for a while before sale and the change over from blue to green across the range was earlier than I thought

Can Anyone Put a date on when blue glass was phased out and green used for all could it be a colour thing but would expect sliver to be the same as my candy white option glass wise

Rob

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 08:31:10 pm »
Very nice car, I too have a 3 door silver GTI