Make a donation

Author Topic: Sudden loss of boost and strange hissing sound.  (Read 1393 times)

Offline JR.303

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Sudden loss of boost and strange hissing sound.
« on: June 28, 2020, 02:56:25 pm »
I booted it in 2nd and there was like a bursting sound of air escaping and I lost all boost.
I managed to limp home at pre boost revs and it just sort of hisses when it boosts with no power at all and it stalls on idle.
It has a new dv and pcv and the cam belt has only just been done maybe five miles ago.
This makes me wonder if a boost pipe was not secured properly or a pipe has split.

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=kgog8kfg1ta2mutds021rpr8c1&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Sudden loss of boost and strange hissing sound.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 05:07:37 pm »
Sounds like a boost pipe yeah!

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 05:13:18 pm »
Yes...it may just be a leaking pipe to hose fitting. You'll need to inspect all that is attached to the intake system...all attached between the intake to manifold. It may have only popped off a boost hose because wasn't connected securely.
But may also be a failed DV or PCV. You can eliminate the possibility of a faulty PCV quickly. To test the PCV; disconnect the PCV corrugated tube at the intake manifold, wipe the end, and blow into it with some force. It should seal. If so, move on and inspect all of the boost hose connections. If they are solid, and you can find no split/cracked tubing which attaches to the intake manifold, then you will need to inspect the DV.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline JR.303

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 07:02:46 am »
Thanks guys I will keep you posted.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 11:16:10 pm »
Thanks guys I will keep you posted.
There's more possibilities such as a broken or disconnected waste-gate, or a failed N75...but those others are common to begin with.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline JR.303

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 06:58:31 am »
Pipe blown off turbo. All fixed.
Now in for pre cat delete and oil pickup pipe clean, then stage 1 on the horizon.