Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: Tyres
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2020, 01:16:40 pm »
I don't think there's a lot in it these days.  The top 5 all have similar tread patterns, compounds and lifespan.  As mentioned above, XL sidewalls usually give better cornering self centre feel....but it's all subjective and no one knows what other people's local roads are like, so avoid XL sidewalls if you live in a pot hole ridden area.

One thing I have learned over the years is that a brand new tyre of any brand feels a lot better than a worn out one close to the wear limit.  They're like shoes.  You don't notice the gradual degradation until you buy new ones.

Not many of us have the luxury of 5 sets of wheels for back to back comparisons of brand new tyres, so cannot objectively state one is better than the other.

That said, enough people have thumbed up the PS4 to make it a fairly safe bet.

That tyre reviews guy seems to keep skipping leg day  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2020, 03:34:42 pm »
I run Continental, and have done for about 6 years.   I used to get the Sport Contact, but last set of fronts were Continental Premium Contact 6.

Both are good, no complaints from me. 

Offline jacksosi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 10:30:56 pm »
I currently have mid-range Nexen Nfera SU1s on all 4 corners (225/45 R17)

The fronts are pretty worn while the rears have loads of tread (wish I had known about rotating them!).
It seems that the Goodyear Eagle Asy5 are a decent all rounder and BlackCircles are quoting 4 for £289.80 fitted (inc. a £25 discount on buying 4).
However, it grinds my gears slightly that I am going to throw away 2 very good tyres  :doh:

Should I move the Nexens to the front and just buy 2 Asy5's for the rear, or bite the bullet and get all 4?
Any aftermarket for decent tread 2nd hand tyres?
In fact anyone on here near RM12 Hornchurch who'd like a pair of vgc Nexens for £50?  :wink:

Also, how good is the 'rim protection' that I see these Asy5's and other tyres come with?

Cheers
Black MkV Gti (Nov 2008), no modifications

Offline kylo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 10:47:19 pm »
Hey bud, I would buy the 4x GY Asy5’s (I have always run these on my ED30 for 9-10yrs they are great) rotate to the front, use two GY at the rear, have the other two spare ready to put on the fronts later. The GY are a great tire and are not a crazy price. The wear well, good in wet, etc etc you probs’ have seen the write ups on here.
KingKylo

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2021, 12:40:17 am »
For the extra 20 quid per corner, or what ever, get the F1 SuperSport.  Assymetrics are like soggy blancmange by comparison, and you'll never use them again after trying the SuperSport.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2021, 09:15:11 am »
Supersport will be my next tyre when I'm back at work.

Haven't checked but has anyone spotted decent deals in 18's?.

Offline jacksosi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2021, 12:34:07 pm »
For the extra 20 quid per corner, or what ever, get the F1 SuperSport.  Assymetrics are like soggy blancmange by comparison, and you'll never use them again after trying the SuperSport.

Thanks...it doesn't look like they do those in a 17"?

In fairness, the car gets very light use and has two careful drivers  :smiley: so I'm more concerned with grip (especially in the wet) and longevity than fast handling, so I'm sure the A5s will be more than sufficient (and get great reviews), and certainly a large upgrade on the Nexens.

I will probably get all 4 and then try and sell the good Nexens, more because it feels a waste than to recoup any money.

Black MkV Gti (Nov 2008), no modifications