Make a donation

Author Topic: I know is been done. Helix vs...  (Read 2003 times)

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
I know is been done. Helix vs...
« on: July 09, 2020, 11:30:11 am »
Hi All,

This question has been asked many times before but most related threads are a question, leading to a decision with little in the way of feedback thereafter. Really I'm hoping for feedback from those who have had a helix clutch for a while.

AKS reckon my DMF is on the way out - it just feels like there is some "slop" in the transmission when coming on/off the power, sometimes accompanied by a clack. Deadset kit in, engine mount inserts too, neither touched this issue. Car is 250HP, 320lbft, 52k miles. Stock clutch not complained about the torque at all in 30k miles and would be staying if it weren't for the DMF.

Torn between a more OEM solution and Helix. Helix can obviously handle it (and some), the other option I've been given is an S3 LUK kit (so ~260lbft stock). Am weighing up (no pun) heavier pedal vs slight risk of new S3 clutch being a bit under-rated. As its a £1k decision I'm trying to be as informed as possible!

Currently 7k miles a year 50/50 urban vs open road. Soon to be 12k+ a year with 70% open road.

Any feedback welcomed!
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Re: I know is been done. Helix vs...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 04:13:28 pm »
Hey F00glee,

It's down to owners discretion at the end of the day. If you're after a clutch which will surpass your needs, then the helix with a genuine DMF will do the trick. The only downside to the Helix is you will have a stiff pedal, you kind of get used to it though, i did.

For that amount of power and torque, you could probably just put a standard DMF & Clutch kit in. If its lasted you 30k miles with no issues, maybe stick with what you've got as you know its works. And you'll keep your OEM pedal feel  :happy2:

if you have any inkling of going higher power.. go Helix.

cheer,
Muff  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 05:37:26 pm »
I was under the impression all EA113 turbo engines (and BKD diesel) used the same clutch and flywheel?  The whole clutch and gearbox assembly is only rated (by VW) to 280lbft, hence why so many remaps cause slipping.

The VW community has always looked for and preferred uprated OEM solutions over aftermarket for the usual reasons, and nothing exists for the MK5 (that I'm aware of) except the TTRS pressure plate (+ stock friction plate), but I all read about that on the forums is a crazy heavy pedal......which apparently reduces in effort over time, but can you really trust that information to be accurate when there's a £1000+ at stake?

Anyway, I'm on my second Helix.  Similar to you, it was only replaced due to a failed flywheel whilst the box was off.  Heavier clutches kill DMFs off quicker than a stock clutch does, but then again, so does labouring the engine frequently, so lifespan isn't clear cut.

I'm a picky sod and the fact I've chosen Helix again is a testament to it's daily smoothness and torque capacity.  I've done 40-50K miles with the Helix(s), including a lot of bumper-bumper traffic.  The pedal is significantly heavier than a brand new stock clutch, but perhaps 30-40% stiffer than a worn/old stock clutch. Providing you don't have chopstick legs and/or dodgy knees, you'll be fine with it  :happy2:  If it wasn't a daily usable clutch I absolutely would not fit it, and just live with the compromises of the OEM parts.

The shunt coming on/off the gas is indeed due to the fooked flywheel.  I had the same thing on mine.

The box has to come off regardless mate, so do some careful thinking and man maths.  I'd drop the Helix in personally but if you have no intention of tuning the car any further than 250hp, fit a stock clutch.  You might get the occasional bit of slippage on a cold frosty morning up a hill in 4th gear.  Obviously that will never happen with the Helix as it can handle 400ish lbft I believe.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 10:54:43 am »
@Pudding @muff1991 thanks for the words of wisdom.

I don't have any plans for more power. I think then I'll go back to AKS and so long as they are happy putting OEM stuff in with my numbers then that's the way I shall go. If they are at all concerned ill go helix and be happy that it'll be heavier, but something ill simply get used to.

Nice one  :happy2:

Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 12:48:40 pm »
Sounds like a plan  :happy2:

I believe the gearbox in these cars is known internally as the MQ350. 350 being the torque rating in Cherman Newton/Meters, which is only 258lbft, so less than I quoted above.  That’s why it’s sketchy with remaps. Some people don’t experience slipping, some do.

Obviously the trans/clutch can handle more than that in the real world, but not a huge amount more! Something has to give, and if the torque isn’t spun away by the tyres or clutch, the trans suffers.  I speak from experience as my trans is fooked after years of heavy clutches and remaps.

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 08:52:06 am »
I'm a picky sod and the fact I've chosen Helix again is a testament to it's daily smoothness and torque capacity.  I've done 40-50K miles with the Helix(s), including a lot of bumper-bumper traffic.  The pedal is significantly heavier than a brand new stock clutch, but perhaps 30-40% stiffer than a worn/old stock clutch. Providing you don't have chopstick legs and/or dodgy knees, you'll be fine with it  :happy2:  If it wasn't a daily usable clutch I absolutely would not fit it, and just live with the compromises of the OEM parts.

I absolutely confirm Puddings view on this after running with a Helix in my ED30. The clutch is heavier but smooth after running in. I did get a leg ache after spending 30 mins bumper to bumper on the M25 once but not since and mine is a daily and now running Stage 1 - 320bhp. I also run with a new OEM DMF and have zero issues and all of your concerns were discussed with AKS who fitted the kit. Its now been 30k since the change. I am very happy with it.

Cheers, Rip.
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 11:02:32 am »
Yeah, heavy slow moving traffic is the worst case scenario with stiff clutches.  As you say, you might experience a bit of discomfort initially (tensing muscles you don't normally stress with a light clutch) but you get used to it  :happy2:  The heavy clutch also gives the car a very weighty, old school feel as well.  Hard to explain but I quite like it  :smiley:

I've heard of people suffering clutch master cylinder failures from heavy clutches, and also the rigid line popping out of the pressure regulator (round plastic thing behind/under the battery tray) but I've not experienced either.   My old slave cylinder's bearings were fooked after 4 years though.  Something has to give!