Make a donation

Author Topic: Multifunction Steering wheel Help!  (Read 10247 times)

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Multifunction Steering wheel Help!
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 01:16:51 pm »
Stu, I tried the coding you suggested 0002022, and the cruise still doesn't work (neither does 0003042). All the coding you suggested did was remove the control for the MFD display in the dash from the end of the wiper stalk to the MFSW (right hand buttons) solely, where as before the MFD could be controlled from either the wiper stalk or MFSW (i.e. they were duplicated).

I've taken the wheel off again and checked the wiring to the airbag and that looks OK, and also checked again to make sure that the steering control module is properly fitted into the sockets with the 2 wiring harness, again fitted OK.

To be honest this was a long shot on my behalf as the wiper stalk worked, indicators worked, main beam, all the MFSW buttons worked (except the phone and highline menu button) and the horn works, so I would have thought if I had put anything back incorrectly, there would be more than just the CC not working ? Also no errors from a scan using VCDS.

I really apprecaite your time and effort Stu, but as I'm running out of ideas, andthing else you think I could try ?

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:19:26 pm by Norbreck21a »

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 01:22:50 pm »
Can you post up and autoscan or mail it to me if you prefer.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 01:40:34 pm »
Stu,

Thanks, you have PM.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 01:44:09 pm »
I'll take a look mate.

Thinking about it the simplest option would be for somone with a MFSW and manual box to look at theirs.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 01:57:43 pm »
I'm a bit lost now then.  The curious thing is there is no fault code.

The ECU is coded for CC which is as expected so if there was no stalk seen by the car I would expect it to throw up some code, perhaps inplausible signal or something.

Why don't you try coding the SW for a car without CC and see if you get it to throw a code.
Stu...

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 03:22:42 pm »
Stu,
thanks, I'll give it a go later. Just for info, I found a scan that I did before I changed to the MFSW, dunno if it will help.

As it's coded now
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 16: Steering wheel        Labels: 1K0-953-549.lbl
   Part No SW: 1K0 953 549 AL    HW: 1K0 953 549 AL
   Component: J0527           036 0070 
   Coding: 0002042
   Shop #: WSC 12345 123 12345

Part No: XXXXXXXXXXX
   Component: E0221           007 0050

No fault code found.

As it was coded before the wheel change
Address 16: Steering wheel        Labels: 1K0-953-549.lbl
   Part No SW: 1K0 953 549 F    HW: 1K0 953 549 F
   Component: Lenksäulenmodul 521 0050 
   Coding: 0000042
   Shop #: WSC 01279 785 00200

No fault code found.

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 06:12:12 pm »
Stu,
This is getting wierder and wierder.

I tried programming the controller to a vaue that was without CCS (0002012) and that threw a code - "controller incorrectly programmed". When I set the coding back to anything that was with CCS it took it no problem.

I reset it back to 0002042 and went into measuring blocks, channel 04 ( I think) and that had the CCS Switch values.

I noticed that when the CC switch on the indicator stalk was off, the value in the measuring block was "OFF", when I flicked the rocker it changed to "ON". Also when the button at the end was pushed up (as you would to accelerate) one of the other boxes changed to "ACCEL", then when I released it went back to "RESUME". Likewise, when the rocker is pushed down I get "DELAY" in VCDS and when released back to "RESUME".

All the time the value CCS-SET remained "NOT OPER", (which was probably because I was stationay in our car park at work and not moving fast enough the the CCS to actually kick in). Obvioulsy I tried the CCS on the Motorway on the way home and stillno joy.

Am I right in thinking though that as the light on the dash comes on when the CCS is activated and the buttons on the indicator stalk register OK in VCDS measuring blocks, that it rules out a problem with the switch itself (which would have been a mojor coincidence as it worked perfectly before the Steering module change over ?

I'm more and moreof the opinion that it's a programming issue, maybe with the engine module that actually interprets the commands ?

Any thoughts ?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:18:32 pm by Norbreck21a »

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 11:08:19 pm »
Could I suggest that you change the dealer code to the one that was in your original unit, I know steering controllers won't code without one but I don't know if it also has to be a 'sensible' one.

Bit of a long shot but one to rule out.
Stu...

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2009, 07:54:20 am »
I'll give it a go Stu, game for anything at the moment.

Cheers for all the help anyway.

Can I be cheecky and ask one futher question (which may or may not be related).

As my car has coming home / leaving home lights function, when I unlock the car, all the dash lights and the illumination for all the car switches and Nav all come on, except the ones on the steering wheel. The lights on the steering wheel only come on with the ignition irrespective of anything else. The buttons themselves also only work with the ignition on. Is this the correct behavoir ?