Make a donation

Author Topic: Scrap or not to scrap?  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Enviousog

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Scrap or not to scrap?
« on: July 26, 2020, 02:35:21 pm »
so to whoever commented on my recent post about re tapping the wishbone bush bolt, I successfully drilled and re tapped to an m14 x 1.50 this morning, and everything is back together..

I noticed some strange banging noise yesterday but didn't think anything of it, thought it might just be the temp bolt I put in wishbone coming loose. I had a look under today and the first bolt closest to front of the car on the dog bone has come completely out, it hasn't snapped,  but it has taken a chunk out of the side of the gearbox casing, i taken pics but I don't know how to upload them?
I'm not sure if this is fixable without replacing the gearbox housing.. one thing after another with this shed lol

Offline Enviousog

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Scrap or not to scrap?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 03:38:50 pm »
https://ibb.co/2KcNyhg

How can I fix this  :thinking:

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 07:40:09 pm »
Being frank fella, you seem to be fudging a lot of stuff, do you feel you have the capability to be doing this work yourself? 

You said the original attempt to drill it wasn't straight and M14 tap got stuck - redrilling all over again will have taken even more material away.
Did you torque the 18mm bolt to the required 70nm/52lbft +90 degree turn? even if you did, I would suspect it will already be starting to pull out.

Your new situation with the dog bone bolt having chipped a chunk out of the gearbox casing:
To fix it properly, retaining the current case, it would need the lost aluminium to be built back up with tig welding, re-drill and time-sert used for the best strength.
This would require the gearbox to removed because they won't be able to weld it that way up in the car
Plus with it being at the bottom of the car the porous alloy will have lots of contamination and be nightmare to weld.
You could replace the case, but suspect it would likely be cost neutral.

Offline Enviousog

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 08:09:56 pm »
No mate, the m12 tap broke for the helicoil.. i never said the drill wasn't straight, I was concerned because id be doing it with jack stands and no ramp. I removed all the helicoil this morning, re drilled and tapped with m14, i didnt want to do it last week because I was unsure whether an m14 bolt would go through the console bush, so until I got an m14 bolt I couldn't be sure.

I gathered id probably need the original piece, I looked out on the drive for the small chance is snapped on a start up, but its lost im afraid.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dbe9khhbvvee2eaaqlr7ne8341&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 08:41:27 pm »
Get someone who knows what they are doing to fix it for you.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 11:05:41 pm »
Even if you had the broken off part they would not use it - they cant weld inside the thread, the whole chipped off part has to be built back up as new metal.

S- in the above image is the amount of metal expect to be surrounding the captive nut, for M12 is 19mm, take away the bolt diameter you only have 3.5mm ring of metal outside the bolt on M12 - drilling out for M14 you will now only have 2.5mm you have lost nearly 30% of metal supporting the bolt.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 03:24:46 pm »
I think your car has fallen victim to an air gun moron at some point in its life.
They’ve rammed that bolt so far in its split the case  :doh:

Gearboxes are cheap enough on ebay........by the time you’ve removed it and taken it somewhere for repair. Take the opportunity to get a very low mileage one and improve at the same time  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline EvaUnitOne

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 11:36:21 am »
It depends on you and on your will to do with that car. If you don't have plans to drive it in the future, and if you think that it would be more reasonable to scrap it than to sell it, take your chances and do it.