Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear high vis brake light  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
Rear high vis brake light
« on: July 27, 2020, 01:25:15 pm »
Good morning,
Im not very good at DIY when it comes to cars so i bought a high vis rear brake light and my mste said he would fit it the outside way rather than removing spoiler. After waiting ages for him i thought i would give it a go myself. Done it this morning and was suprised how easy it was! Dont think the old one had ever been replaced and it showed. The  only bit that took a while was  clipping the new one in and after a while of trying it suddenly just clicked in and seems very secure. Moral of story, if i can do it anyone can. I followed the simple harry guide on youtube and away i went. So if your a bit cautious to do it yourself then you can do it and save yourself some money  :happy2:

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Rear high vis brake light
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 12:42:21 pm »
Good to know as i've just picked up a replacement for mine  :happy2:

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 01:11:53 pm »
Any probs mark give me a shout :happy2:

Offline danceswithhorses

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 01:23:38 am »
I need to change my rear high brake light too, but i have arthritis in my hands, so sadly this looks too fiddly for me.
I have the part, but would a non-vw dealer consider doing this, do you think ?

Offline OldGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 10:19:55 am »
I need to change my rear high brake light too, but i have arthritis in my hands, so sadly this looks too fiddly for me.

I think any competent body shop or even garage can do it. You have to drill, break out the original as you cannot get to the back of we properly via the bootlid but then it is just a standard connector at the back for the new one that clips in. If you can get some mastic around the new one as you fit it is is probably good practice.

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 04:33:29 pm »
if you have any family members that are willing to help then ask them to watch the video on youtube and they should be able to do it. Im useless at stuff like this but i just watched the video then paused it at each stage. You dont need to drill into old light as plastic is very brittle so just make a little break into it with a small flathead screw driver then get a larger one and work it into the hole you made then break it out. Whoever does it for you just needs to take their time and its a job done.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 08:04:13 pm »
Yeah it’s an easy job. The fiddliest bit is the square harness grommet, but doable with long nose pliers. I used a bit of windscreen glue (U-Pol Tiger seal) on mine to make it waterproof and add a bit of extra strength since the 2 screws fitted at the factory are now redundant.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D