Make a donation

Author Topic: Climatronic Panel Econ -> AC button causing problems  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Climatronic Panel Econ -> AC button causing problems
« on: May 04, 2021, 01:54:32 pm »
Yesterday I replaced my old climatronic controls with the ECON button

to a mint condition newer version with the AC button

which I thought should be a direct swap. Now I understand the reversed functionality of the ECON and AC buttons, but turning my AC button on seems to disable the aircon completely to the point where it doesn't blow any air out of the vents, it justs makes a whole heap of noise behind the dash. When I turn the AC button off again I get a rush of cold air out and then it blows normally. I did verify with VCDS that pressing the AC button activates the compressor and there are no faults logged.

I'm very confused why this is happening, is there some sort of wiring change needed between the two panels or is the car somehow programmed to handle the button differently (surely the climatronic panel handles this but)? Anyway I'll be swapping back to my old panel if I can't get the new one working normally.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 02:01:23 pm by Sebas_theFish »

Offline Goldenbrown

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Climatronic Panel Econ -> AC button causing problems
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 10:57:57 am »
I have a similar problem, did you manage to diagnose the problem

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Climatronic Panel Econ -> AC button causing problems
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 10:10:35 am »
Yes, firstly the functionality of the buttons is slightly different on the new panel so it wasn't user friendly to keep it and also there's a difference with 1 vs 2 recirculation flap motors between older and newer cars and associated wiring changes. Swapped back to my original unit for now.