Make a donation

Author Topic: Cutting out, no acceleration and jolting.  (Read 1227 times)

Offline rudigti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Cutting out, no acceleration and jolting.
« on: August 04, 2020, 03:59:44 pm »
Hi all,

Recently just bought a MK5 GTI and keep having issues with cutting out/juddering and jolting like it's misfiring. After garage had changed fuel pump changed and pressure sensor too. Then driving home in second gear it jolted and then on a hill (stationary) engine cut and battery light came on. Took it back to the garage and then cut out multiple times lots of jolting and power loss. No acceleration at all at times, foot to the floor in 6th and felt like I was in low Revs in second gear, or that the engine was off. Engine light on again (stayed on) and oil light was flashing making a bing noise too briefly then turned off the car and restarted then kept jolting and engine light has stayed on. Barely managed to get the car back home. Sounds awful too.

Unsure what issue is and am getting cam follower changed and checking the ignition coils too. Going to change coils to Audi r8 coils anyway as the GTI ones are a bit weaker.

I'm just tired of having my baby in the garage for this same issue with cut outs and jolting. Makes me nervous to drive the car as I'm worrying about it dying on me again (steering locked one time when the engine cut and I was on the motorway).

Any help is appreciated as I'm seriously considering selling it now because it's been such a ball ache.

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Cutting out, no acceleration and jolting.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 04:33:02 pm »
A fault that serious would show up on a scan tool I would imagine?  Have you got a scan tool?  The oil light and buzzer coming on (with the engine running) is also not a good sign at all.

I would be adding a sump drop and pickup pipe inspection to the list of jobs, asap.

Which fuel pump was changed?  The in-tank one or the mechanical pump on the cylinder head?

The R8 coils are no stronger in terms of spark output than the black ones by the way, they are just engine dressing for the R8  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Marrkyyy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Cutting out, no acceleration and jolting.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 02:02:12 am »
What were the error codes?