Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil Pressure issues  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Thatredgolf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Oil Pressure issues
« on: August 10, 2020, 09:08:07 pm »
Hi all,

Long story short I’m on my second engine AXX->BWJ this current engine has developed an oil pressure warning, since this has come on I’ve checked the oil pump and balance shafts as well as replacing the oil pick up pipe, I’ve replaced the Oil pressure sensor and the oil pressure switch.

I’m due to pick the car up from the mechanics in the morning and I have got it booked in for an oil pressure test on Wednesday from another garage with the gauge.

Since I dropped the BWJ in I’ve been scratching my head wondering what could possibly be the cause, electrical faults? dodgy ecu?

If anyone could perhaps share a similar experience or point me in a direction where I can fix this puzzle it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Thatredgolf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Oil Pressure issues
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 07:41:45 pm »
Hi all,

Long story short I’m on my second engine AXX->BWJ this current engine has developed an oil pressure warning, since this has come on I’ve checked the oil pump and balance shafts as well as replacing the oil pick up pipe, I’ve replaced the Oil pressure sensor and the oil pressure switch.

I’m due to pick the car up from the mechanics in the morning and I have got it booked in for an oil pressure test on Wednesday from another garage with the gauge.

Since I dropped the BWJ in I’ve been scratching my head wondering what could possibly be the cause, electrical faults? dodgy ecu?

If anyone could perhaps share a similar experience or point me in a direction where I can fix this puzzle it would be greatly appreciated.
Update- picked it up this morning with an intermittent oil pressure light, got it around the corner from my house and it started hissing and huge clouds of white smoke coming from the exhaust, hoping it was a boost leak I called the RAC to inspect, I’ve only gone and blown the Turbo I guess KO4 was going to happen sooner or later, sooner it is.

If anyone can help me with the necessary upgrades needed to support the KO4 please do chime in.

Wish me and my wallet some luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mekaniko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 11:26:30 am »
Good luck! and keep us updated

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 02:41:04 pm »
Look on r techs website as it shows all the parts needed to convert to k04

Offline Thatredgolf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 07:59:01 pm »
Look on r techs website as it shows all the parts needed to convert to k04
I’m going by this as a guide

I’ve spoken to MDM Technik about doing the KO4 conversion there as they offer the revo KO4 with some dv relocating trickery, just short of dropping a log when I heard the price without a map I’m now proceeding to source a KO4 from an Audi S3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 04:39:33 pm »
Oh dear!  I guess the turbo revealed itself as the oil pressure culprit, saving you the hassle of further fault finding!

Yes, most tuning companies are way overpriced for this conversion.  Don't even look at APR's kit price  :surprised:  And that's just for the turbo and a tune  :grin:

All of the parts can be sourced from ebay and even if you have to stump up for a new turbo, Turbozentrum do a brand spanker K04 for £850ish last time I looked.  So it's still dropping a few pellets, but nowhere near the hefty log it could be.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Thatredgolf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 04:36:32 pm »
Hi all who are following,

So after scouring the internet for a decent KO4 snail with pipework I’ve managed to source a good one from a Cupra R on about 70k, what seals & gaskets would I need for the fitting also anybody recommend anything at this stage in regards to upgrading the system?

Offline Thatredgolf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 05:04:54 am »
Sitrep: it’s currently 5am and I’ve just gotten back from a 600 mile round trip with a KO4 with all necessary pipework, injectors and an intercooler all acquired from an Audi S3.

As you can tell as I’ve taken the liberty to write this and not hit my bed I’m quite excited, as far as I am aware the only missing piece to the puzzle is the custom wiring harness for the DV relocation and some miscellaneous gaskets and so fourth.

Does anybody know at this point what else I need in terms of gaskets and possible upgrades that can be made at this stage?

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 11:27:43 am »
hi mate, i too am in the process of gathering all the bits for the K04 build. i have about the same stuff as you lol, i also have the vis internals for the HPFP (thanks @Pudding  :happy2:), i need a De-cat, possibly an aftermarket exhaust too, a Helix clutch, a few gaskets and sensors and im near enough ready!.

you can buy the DV relocation wiring extewntion from ebay, theres a guy who makes and sells them for £30

plenty of posts on here and google (plus R-tech) on whats needed etc.