Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI Xenon Main beams really dim  (Read 1814 times)

Offline ExtraSauce

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
GTI Xenon Main beams really dim
« on: August 10, 2020, 11:00:42 pm »
Hi, I was driving home tonight and all of sudden my xenon main beams have gone really dim. They are still working but not very bright at all.

Has anyone had this problem or know what the cause is? I don’t have any message come up on the dash either.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 11:34:54 pm by ExtraSauce »
2005 GTI (Stage 2 - 280Bhp, Forge Twin Induction Kit, Forge Short Shifter, RS4 Alloys, R32 Rear & Exhaust Straight through to backbox)

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
Re: GTI Xenon Main beams really dim
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 11:53:50 am »
Hi there

Are you sure that its a brightness issue and not an alignment one?

I had my front Xenon leveller unit break the linkage between the wishbone and body (N/S wishbone mounted).  When this happens the system is set to enter a "safe mode" of dropping the projector units to their lowest setting so that other road users aren't dazzled.  The effect on nightime driving was massive as it was like driving with candles rather than headlights!  Not ideal on a long trip back up north in the winter...

Might be one to check and rule out as part of your trouble shooting.

Hope this helps.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline ExtraSauce

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 12:44:35 pm »
Hi there

Are you sure that its a brightness issue and not an alignment one?

I had my front Xenon leveller unit break the linkage between the wishbone and body (N/S wishbone mounted).  When this happens the system is set to enter a "safe mode" of dropping the projector units to their lowest setting so that other road users aren't dazzled.  The effect on nightime driving was massive as it was like driving with candles rather than headlights!  Not ideal on a long trip back up north in the winter...

Might be one to check and rule out as part of your trouble shooting.

Hope this helps.

I haven't thought of this no. I will check this today before buying new bulbs. However if I turn the light switch on/off enough one of my lights goes back to full brightness but then few minutes later back down to candle light level as you very well described haha.

If it is the alignment, how easy would this be to fix?

Thanks for getting back to me!
2005 GTI (Stage 2 - 280Bhp, Forge Twin Induction Kit, Forge Short Shifter, RS4 Alloys, R32 Rear & Exhaust Straight through to backbox)

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 09:57:54 am »
For me, replacing the level sensor brought them straight back as the control unit was happy again.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline ExtraSauce

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
GTI Xenon Main beams really dim
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 06:39:06 pm »
For me, replacing the level sensor brought them straight back as the control unit was happy again.
My issue turned out that I didn’t have xenons. it appears the previous owner had done a HIDS conversion to make them bi-xenons (LEDS) - I’ve owned the car for about 4 weeks now.

I bought some replacements and everything is good. There even brighter then before!

Thanks again for trying to help tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 08:22:58 pm »
No problem and glad it’s both sorted and improved! :happy2: