Make a donation

Author Topic: Revo KO4 turbo kit  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Thatredgolf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Revo KO4 turbo kit
« on: August 11, 2020, 09:07:06 pm »
So I have blown my KO3 into smithereens so naturally it’s time for a KO4.

After doing some research into sourcing one of these bad boys I’ve stumbled over a the Revo KO4, is anybody running this at the moment? Would it be worth the difference in price in comparison to the OE counterpart?   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: Revo KO4 turbo kit
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 01:20:48 am »
I do not know anyone with the revo K04 kit. It is just a Borg Warner K04 and they may have done some clean-up on it and got rid of the turbo muffler...so it has a direct outlet. Scroll down (link below) to see pics and they use the word "competitor" without stating which that would be. Is it a clone or genuine BW before revo cleaned it up...who knows. I would say compare the BW K04 and a turbo muffler delete. Additionally, if you see the mess those pics show inside the BW K04 turbo inlet...clean it up before installing it and voila...you have a revo K04. Power output would be no different as revo didn't modify the compressor or any internals. https://www.urotuning.com/products/revo-k04-turbo-kit-exc-software-transverse-2-0t-fsi-rt991m100300
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Thatredgolf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 01:25:50 am »
I do not know anyone with the revo K04 kit. It is just a Borg Warner K04 and they may have done some clean-up on it and got rid of the turbo muffler...so it has a direct outlet. Scroll down (link below) to see pics and they use the word "competitor" without stating which that would be. Is it a clone or genuine BW before revo cleaned it up...who knows. I would say compare the BW K04 and a turbo muffler delete. Additionally, if you see the mess those pics show inside the BW K04 turbo inlet...clean it up before installing it and voila...you have a revo K04. Power output would be no different as revo didn't modify the compressor or any internals. https://www.urotuning.com/products/revo-k04-turbo-kit-exc-software-transverse-2-0t-fsi-rt991m100300
Since I was planning on taking it to R-Tech to get mapped in I wasn’t too fussed about the “stage 3” package that was offered with it.

I may just find myself pieces for the conversion and get a second hand one reconditioned I guess.

Thanks mate

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 05:11:42 pm »
Sure, if you just find a turbo and are going to tune for it, just source some MK6 Golf R injectors, HPFP internal upgrade, DV relocate if the K04 doesn't have a turbo mounted DV, and possibly a turbo muffler delete. You can upgrade the fmic and boost plumbing at some other time.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 04:44:22 pm »
Get a brand new turbo and K04 injectors, then source everything else from ebay.  It's about £1500 worth but it's better to put the extra into the main components rather than sticking secondhand stuff in of an unknown history/condition.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Thatredgolf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 04:45:06 pm »
Get a brand new turbo and K04 injectors, then source everything else from ebay.  It's about £1500 worth but it's better to put the extra into the main components rather than sticking secondhand stuff in of an unknown history/condition.
How about getting it reconditioned pudding?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 05:11:01 pm »
You mean buy a scrap K04 and get it refurbed?  Yeah that's an option.  Personally I would only go to TurboTechnics for this service, but tell them you just want a standard rebuild with 360 degree bearings.  If you go for a hybrid that will add extra work to the mapping, and therefore cost.

If I were you, I would just get a base spec turbo and all the other bits, bung it on and just go for a mild remap and see what you feel about it.  You won't get much more than 330-340hp unless running everything on the ragged edge......and that won't be possible on an AXX block anyway as it has a higher compression and weaker pistons than a K04 engine.

Switching from the K03 to a K04 is already a big step up, so take it easy initially.  I'm not trying to be your Dad, just trying to stop you from blowing the engine up  :grin:

Offline Thatredgolf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 05:19:35 pm »
You mean buy a scrap K04 and get it refurbed?  Yeah that's an option.  Personally I would only go to TurboTechnics for this service, but tell them you just want a standard rebuild with 360 degree bearings.  If you go for a hybrid that will add extra work to the mapping, and therefore cost.

If I were you, I would just get a base spec turbo and all the other bits, bung it on and just go for a mild remap and see what you feel about it.  You won't get much more than 330-340hp unless running everything on the ragged edge......and that won't be possible on an AXX block anyway as it has a higher compression and weaker pistons than a K04 engine.

Switching from the K03 to a K04 is already a big step up, so take it easy initially.  I'm not trying to be your Dad, just trying to stop you from blowing the engine up  :grin:
So the KO4 I’ve sourced is off an S3 about 40k miles I will 9/10 get this checked out and refurbed before installation, as I’ve already swapped the block for a BWJ from the cupra but are using my ancillaries I should be good for 340 providing I switch out the injectors and intercooler right? I always had plans to KO4 the car but it’s being dictated on the cars terms and not mine I’ve had a little root around of turbozentrums website and I’ve seen they do an injector clean too so I might get them both checked over.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 06:10:29 pm »
OK, things are sounding better now.  A 40K old snail might not even need a refurb  :happy2:  I don't know the spec of the BWJ.  Is it a CDL/BYD equivalent?  If so, it will have the lower compression and better pistons/rings etc so you can run more boost  :happy2:

Offline Thatredgolf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 06:15:20 pm »
OK, things are sounding better now.  A 40K old snail might not even need a refurb  :happy2:  I don't know the spec of the BWJ.  Is it a CDL/BYD equivalent?  If so, it will have the lower compression and better pistons/rings etc so you can run more boost  :happy2:
So the BWJ came out of a Seat Leon Cupra K1 which ran a KO4 out of the factory so in theory it should hold up the same as a BYD/CDL on R-Techs website it did fall under the same category as those.

I will be able to get a better indication when I get around to inspecting the snail in person then I’ll make the call to have it refurbed not, I think the injector clean will be a must.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 07:08:44 pm »
Regarding the cleaning of the used injectors...inquire the cost and what they do. Here, U.S., the cost for servicing a set of four is about the cost of one new injector. The service includes the ultra-sonic cleaning and pressure testing. You will want them tested with more than 10 bar of pressure over its fuel pressure release/regulator valve(FPRV) limit on the rail. Or ask them what they do regarding testing pressure...they should know what the limit is for the FPRV you have. My FPRV has a 145 bar limit. So, you need to confirm the pressure they test them at, also, if they compare spray pattern so to know the nozzles are spraying equally. I have a set of four I just removed that have 97k miles on them. They were fouled somehow and my long-term mileage average has now gone up from 23 mpg to over 28 mpg. I am still not sure if it is worth the cost to have the removed injectors checked...and I may just toss them out. Still undecided.