Make a donation

Author Topic: Cone Filter on stock airbox, Stage 1  (Read 1335 times)

Offline ItsFluffyHere

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Cone Filter on stock airbox, Stage 1
« on: September 21, 2020, 02:57:09 pm »
I’ve been searching for like 2 day but I haven't seen any threads discussing this, only ones where it’s just mentioned.

I’m currently stage 1 and my air filter is due to be replaced soon. So I thought I’d just do a DIY short ram intake with a bit of pipe and a cone filter over the stock airbox. Ik for real power I should look for a real intake, but I just want a bit of sound.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Cone Filter on stock airbox, Stage 1
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 09:08:46 am »
Get a decent panel filter like pipercross or do the complete pipework intake.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 06:23:53 pm »
Tbh I think mucking around with the stock intake is a recipe for issues with fuel trims and throttle response. Just playing around with the inlet scoop on mine to make some sort of carbonio type effect ended up killing low rev response, which whilst not sexy is where we spend a fair bit of our driving time.  Similarly, most open foam filters on drainpipes do similarly due to the Bernoulli effect killing the speed of gas flow.  I would be inclined to just fit a panel filter and clear away some of the ribs inside the stock intake.  You will find a better return on your time by bashing out the precat.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 07:38:25 pm »
The stock intake is a MILLION times better than anything in the aftermarket.  It doesn't need upgrading unless going for a big turbo conversion, or trying to wring every last drop of hp out of the stock turbo.  And even then, you don't see any gains until 5000+ rpm.  And who drives at 5000+ rpm regularly?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D