Make a donation

Author Topic: New MK5 owner - possible lemon - help required!  (Read 1439 times)

Offline DSB181

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
New MK5 owner - possible lemon - help required!
« on: August 14, 2020, 08:02:24 am »
Hi all!
 Apologies if this is in the wrong place mods, its my first post after finding your forum - I'll try to keep this as short and sweet as possible....

CAR - 89,000 miles, 2008 TDI Match 1.9, Cam belt and water pump 2006, paid £2200

Purchased the above car from a local garage, sold in 'good mechanical condition' and purchased in good faith by myself, sold with a 6 month warranty and paid for through the garage by debit card. Told by the garage the car had no issues other than one key which made the dash run in 'SAFE' mode.
The car had been owned by the garage for 10 years and used by one of the directors, the garage (listed also as the owner on the V5) had taken care of the car and MOT'd in-house during this time - although other than cam belt and water pump change written on the coolant bottle no documentation of any service or works - it was all completed in-house.
MOT'd in May this year.

Purchased the car and dash flashed up service due, taken to VW for service and they also performed a free health check which flagged up multiple issues listed below....

The garage where I bought the car are not willing to spend money on the car, they have offered to 'fix' the intercooler hose gap and 'fix' the undercover which is hanging down..... or refund me for the car. They tell me the warranty won't cover the issues so my options are to have it refunded or put up with the issues and have them put right the undercover and intercooler hose.

My question to you all... is this worth keeping or should I just hand it back for a refund and put it down to experience, having lost out on the price of the service at the dealership due to probably my ignorance in thinking the car was fine, a full tank of fuel, the weekend cleaning it and the admin fees for refunding the insurance and tax - likely to amount to £450+ which the garage won't honour, only the £2200 I paid...
I know the VW Dealership would have picked the car apart... the mechanical issues I could probably live with and repair over time, the electrical issues are really ringing alarm bells for me. What is your opinion??

I'm a total novice with cars, I would really value if any of you could advise or offer any suggestion.

Thank you all so much

Urgent issues (FYI there are also some amber but these are the most concerning flagged as urgent)
 Intercooler hose.
(On top of engine) has worn at locking lug - requires new hose.
(as not holding in position and can cause black smoke as leaking and has covered engine bay in oil
where leaked) -
 Under tray.
Is hanging down, rear bolts been broken off and snapped in sub frame allowing tray to drag on floor.
((suspect noise complaint) will require sub-frame to be drilled out and thread repair plus new bolts) -
 Clutch.
Pedal biting point is very sharp, pedal is also heavy which indicates the clutch kit is worn. 
(would require gear box removal to inspect clutch kit and check wear) -
 NSR anti roll bar.
Link ball joint has play + movement.
Advise replacing as pair complete with nuts and pins - likely to have to seized in wheel bearing knuckle
arm. -
 Squealing noise from engine bay requires inspection.
- Remove auxiliary drive belt and check pulley bearings for play wear. -
 Fault in GFF - with the alarm siren check.
Test does not carry out self check with activation and beep to show working requires rewiring check
(and check siren unit requires stripping of road wheel and arch liner trim and remove security cage drill
out rivets to access and check) -
 Fault in GFF - with the ignition switch is not reading the key (intermittent).
Can cause battery drain or non start issues - requires modified switch steering wheel -
Column trims required to be removed to access area. -
 Fault in GFF - with the NSF door lock.
Unit is in safe mode requires door skin removal to strip down and check wiring harness and locking unit
as may become jammed shut and will require damage to door card.
(However) door currently opens so would advise invest whilst working so does not require damage to
door card -
 Instrument cluster is reading in safe mode fault.
Stored with instrument cluster is being read as faulty - requires replacing has immobiliser built in so will
require any spare additional keys to be programmed.
This fault can cause vehicle to not start or central locking to not work effectively. –

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
Re: New MK5 owner - possible lemon - help required!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 05:42:28 pm »
I'd get a refund myself and although you'll be out of pocket you won't be saddled with a car with multiple problems.

If the garage wouldn't spend money keeping it in good condition or ready for sale in the first instance then how much are they going to spend for your benefit?

Honestly hand it back and count it down to experience.

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 09:10:28 pm »
I work in car sakes. Hand the car back. The end.

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 09:52:24 am »
Put in writing the problems give them a copy of VW report give them 7 days to sort it demand a refund tell them you will take it to Small claims Court its easy all online you can claim fees back off them Meanwhile contact your bank ad ask about Charge back they should help Point out to seller 1995 sale of goods act goods must be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose, If you need anymore advice just ask

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 10:01:01 am »
If you have the option to hand it back just do that and walk away. Done

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 04:55:56 pm »
Yeah, I'd try and return it.

Was that 2006 for the cambelt, or 20th June?  Hopefully the latter!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 09:29:06 am »
Return it end of. There are ton of mk5’s about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MK5 ED30