Make a donation

Author Topic: Drive shaft bolt torque grief  (Read 2630 times)

Offline sandomenico

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
Drive shaft bolt torque grief
« on: August 26, 2020, 04:06:37 pm »

Hi all,
Would like some opinions on this please.
A couple of weeks ago I replaced the nearside cv joint on my Gti (GKN Lobro part) The new driveshaft bolt supplied with the kit is pictured. We all know of course these bolts come in 'ribbed' and 'non ribbed' versions, right? So I'm pretty sure I've got myself a 'non ribbed' one in this kit, and as we all know again I'm gonna torque it with the 200nm + 180° procedure..
So, after torquing it to 200nm, lowering the car to the ground and starting the final tightening, it quickly becomes clear that theres no way this bolt is going to turn another 180° And thats with a 3/4 "drive tommy bar with a 2 foot pipe extension! The bolt needs tons of force to get it to move at all, and when it does it kind of snaps round a bit then stops again. I got to about maybe 45° from where I started when the 3/4" to 1/2" adapter for the socket snapped. Believing that there's no way the bolt can be under torqued I put the wheel back on and I've been driving it around since, including a 200 mile trip the the New Forest and back and all seems well.
My question is this. I've got a second kit to do the offside cv joint soon. What should I do this time regarding the torquing? Should I go to VW and buy a pair of 'ribbed' bolts which need less torque and start again? Why does everything in life have to fight you?!
Thanks for any help.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: Drive shaft bolt torque grief
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 03:14:02 pm »
When I rebuilt my front suspension I had the same problem although my bolts didn't look like yours, I just did mine as tight as I possibly could. 3 years later I've had no issues.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 12:49:32 pm »
Yes get the proper 24mm bolts from VW.  Those sh*tty ones GKN supply are the really old design that appeared on the very first MK5s.  VW quickly changed them to the more familiar 12 point headed bolt.

I had zero issues getting 180 degrees using the VW bolts.  I also used a 4 foot 3/4" breaker bar, and also 3/4" 24mm socket to minimise torque loss.  It's also worth getting the proper 3/4" VW tool for the rear bearings, otherwise one day you will face the same problem back there as well  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline sandomenico

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 11:28:48 am »
Thanks for your reply. I bought the GKN kits as a read that they are VW oem, and the most expensive available from Euro Car Parts, but must admit I was dubious about the bolts supplied. I'll pick up some proper ones from VW before I do the other side.
I did the rear bearings last year and didn't have any problems with the 180° procedure that end, must have been my lucky day!
Cheers.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 01:11:57 pm »
Everything in the GKN kit is spot on and OEM grade, except the bolt!  I don't know why they supply that outdated version.  They must have bought a bucket load of them and trying to get rid  :grin:  Either that or VW's bolt supplier won't supply GKN for some obscure political reason, who knows, but easy & cheap enough to get from VW  :happy2:

Kudos to you for replacing the bolts though.  Many garages just air gun the original ones back on!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D