Make a donation

Author Topic: AC panel upgrade... to single flap motor or not?  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
AC panel upgrade... to single flap motor or not?
« on: August 29, 2020, 11:00:17 am »
Hi, I have a March 2006 Mk5 Golf TDI 4Motion. I have double flap dual zone climatronic with Econ button (Replaced by the AC button in vehicles from week 22/2007).

I know this has been discussed before multiple times and I've read lots of older posts; both on here and Vortex forums (and the odd Russian site) on retrofitting the Passat/Scirocco (Mk7 look) AC panel. For cars from calendar week 18/2007 with single flap, this is pretty much plug and play (with the optional swapping of 2 wires to remember AC settings when ignition is switched off). For vehicles up to calendar week 17/2007 with 2 flaps there are some other wires to swap/remove and 2x bridge wires to put the 2 motors in parallel (or can we just disconnect one? not clear). Lots of input on those (older) threads by @Eddie-NL @ady-uk @downtime @Softishman @Shoduchi @SI-R32 and @Christiank amongst others. Some of those threads that had wiring diagrams, pics and such no longer display them so If I can get the correct info I'd like to put it in this one thread to help me and others.

This is the thread that seems most relevant to me, but no pics of the flaps/heater box or how to change either the whole box or just the flaps/motors from double to single.

I've read that there is some misting (windscreen/side windows), but minimal if the flaps in parallel is done right, but it will never be perfect (or was this people just doing it wrong?). If I do go ahead with the single flap conversion (Not afraid of a bit of hard work and fairly capable) how do I spot on eBay what heater box/matrix I need to purchase to rob the parts from for single flap conversion?

I have a highline CECM (3C0), AN Gateway and 3D Clocks, my new control panel is from a B7 Passat; 3AA907044 BQ which I understand is OK for this? I will be fitting the Air Quality sensor (Fitted as standard from calendar week 45/2007) at the same time and already have the sensor/bracket/loom. I will be making the facia panel myself from a Mk5 panel and a Scirocco panel as per: http://vw-golfclub.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=42611

Anyone point me to the parts I need for the flap conversion, would prefer to get the whole duct/motor/flap assembly, so not sure which Suffix I need at the end of part number 1K2820003 to ensure I'm buying a Climatronic single flap item or if anyone knows of a guide for with pics for the swap? Also, I'm assuming I can't use a Mk6 assembly without changing the dash (no thanks) as they are different enough not to fit behind a Mk5 dash?

Thanks in advance all

Stu
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 07:58:39 am by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: AC panel upgrade... to single flap or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 08:54:57 am »
I'm on 2 weeks annual leave now, so what better time to spent most of the day yesterday than trawling the net gathering info... I'll add stuff here once I know what I got right and what I got wrong.

I found a MK6 complete AC matrix assembly for cheap enough, so if robbing the single flap parts from that doesn't work I can get my money back on parts easily enough, so hopefully not a gamble that will cost overall, and happy to try these things out in the name of research.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 12:29:37 pm by Stupots »

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 10:18:17 pm »
A retrofitter friend who has done my mk6 climatronic panel says the only way to get the retrofit working 100% is upgrading the AC pump to newer 1 flap version. I don't know more details about this at the moment.

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 07:58:15 am »
Thanks @Shoduchi that is interesting info. I need to have the engine out at some point to fit a new clutch (4WD), so if it's required I can certainly explore that option. I must admit though that it's the first time I've heard this. I know an ECU has been an issue on early 2004/2005 Diesel cars, which stopped the AC pump kicking in, in those cases cloning the ECU to a later one (03G906021KK Confirmed working) fixed the issue.

I have also discovered that even though people (including me) refer to the difference in AC flaps as single flap/dual flap, it actually looks like it is single motor/double motor, as it seems pre 2007 and later 2007+ climatronic cars both have dual flaps, it is just that on later cars 1 motor operated 2 flaps with the addition of a gear/lever system. I have parts coming later this week, so will post pics, but that appears to be the case from diagrams in the manual (in the specific section for the single V425 motor on wk18 2007+ vehicles) and parts I have seen online.

Thanks for the info

Stu
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:05:59 am by Stupots »

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 02:54:05 pm »
Thanks @Shoduchi that is interesting info. I need to have the engine out at some point to fit a new clutch (4WD), so if it's required I can certainly explore that option. I must admit though that it's the first time I've heard this. I know an ECU has been an issue on early 2004/2005 Diesel cars, which stopped the AC pump kicking in, in those cases cloning the ECU to a later one (03G906021KK Confirmed working) fixed the issue.

I have also discovered that even though people (including me) refer to the difference in AC flaps as single flap/dual flap, it actually looks like it is single motor/double motor, as it seems pre 2007 and later 2007+ climatronic cars both have dual flaps, it is just that on later cars 1 motor operated 2 flaps with the addition of a gear/lever system. I have parts coming later this week, so will post pics, but that appears to be the case from diagrams in the manual (in the specific section for the single V425 motor on wk18 2007+ vehicles) and parts I have seen online.

Thanks for the info

Stu

My friend would know the full explanation. You're correct about the motors, they're one or two. I know he has replaced quite a few AC units, just by partially moving the dash forward to make them pass the available gap.

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: AC panel upgrade... to single flap motor or not?
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 03:22:03 pm »
So the bits turned up today to do the conversion from double actuator with double flap to single actuator with double flap, as per later 2007 Climatronic vehicles, this should allow me to retrofit the Mk6 or Passat B7 (Mk7 look) Climatronic Control Panel without getting the misting issues.

If you want to do this yourself, as someone else has said, it is easier to buy the whole heater matrix/ducting and take what you want than trying to find just the bit you want on eBay, then re-sell the rest. It should be easy to spot, you just need to look out for the orange linkages on the incoming air duct (the bit that sits behind the glove box).

In the pic above you can see the green seal strip single flap on the part on the left (this is not from my car but from a non Climatronic car, but is the same plastic housing that holds the dual flaps on a Climatronic car). Look at position of the single actuator compared to the other one on the right. you can also see it has the blank spot for the 2nd actuator if it was a Climatronic car. The part on the right also has the flap with the green seal strip but is obscured by the 2nd flap. Note that the motor sits a little further forward and has no fixing for a 2nd motor. Basically the takeaway is that you cannot just fit the single actuator and associated linkage to a housing that has 2 actuators.

The pic above gives a good view of the orange linkage and actuator (V425) that you should look out for when identifying the correct heater matrix/ducting on eBay if you want to do this conversion.

The whole flap assembly has 2 screws at the front and then needs to hinge up about 3 inches to allow it to come out, not easy/near impossible without breaking things with the dash still in place. I will do some pics when I fit mine, but have a plan of how to get mine in and out a little easier.

I'll update this thread when I've actually done this work.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 03:35:26 pm by Stupots »

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: AC panel upgrade... to single flap motor or not?
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 09:11:46 am »
What was the part number of the flap unit you ended up using? Would you mind sharing a bit of a DIY on how you ended up installing it?