Author Topic: My 3 door Black Manual GTI  (Read 617 times)

Offline MattC

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=t6b0mtp8p85tvsdipiaca6ul20&/topic,127480.msg1139198.html
My 3 door Black Manual GTI
« on: August 31, 2020, 07:22:19 PM »
The day I bought my new favourite car, August 2019. :driver: Sitting behind is my old Astra H 1.6 SXi.

Factory options: short list :ashamed:
  • 18" Monza wheels (Painted anthracite grey)
  • Automatic lights and window wipers

Maintenance done after purchase:
  • Full service (Castrol Edge LL 5W 30)
  • Cam follower replaced
  • Front brake discs and pads (Brembo)

Current modifications list:
  • Red GTI Seat jack inserts
  • Dynamic LED wing mirror indicator lights
  • 19CM Polo Antenna
  • LED interior and Number plate lights
  • Milltek Non-Resonated cat-back
  • Front HEL stainless-steel braided Brake lines

Replaced the wormy rear emblem with a revised 3D version. Actually forgot about this as it was over a year ago now. I bought just the emblem first and after ripping off the old one, it wouldn't fit due to the dome being different on the earlier boot handle. So, I actually bought the new revised handle with the 3D emblem. Simple job to replace.

Rebuilt the front calipers after the driver's side stuck one night. Getting the rubber caliper slider boots in was a task. :surprised:

Painted the front grille and fog surrounds with Bumper & Trim spray paint Black: Before -> After.

Wet sanded and polished my headlights. Driver's side not done for comparison. Looks brand new :happy2: Before -> After.

Installed LED interior and number plate kit. Really improves the car and brings it up to date.

How she sits at the moment. :innocent:

Things I have in mind for the future:
  • Repair rust on all wings and door sills
  • 20MM Eibach Sportline lowering springs
  • Paint correction and protection
  • Noname RCD 330G PLUS or RNS 510 if I can justify the cost
  • R32 rear diffuser with GTI exhaust cutout(maybe)
  • Paint match rear valance, side skirts and front lip

I'll keep this updated if anything interesting happens :laugh:

Thanks for looking :jumping:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:33:08 PM by MattC »

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: My 3 door Black Manual GTI
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 08:45:16 AM »
Welcome - I see you have already started down the slippery slope of work!!! How much was your custom exhaust if you don’t mind me asking and how does it sound? I want to get an exhaust but can’t justify one of the expensive branded ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MattC

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=t6b0mtp8p85tvsdipiaca6ul20&/topic,127480.msg1139198.html
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 09:40:09 AM »
Welcome - I see you have already started down the slippery slope of work!!! How much was your custom exhaust if you don’t mind me asking and how does it sound? I want to get an exhaust but can’t justify one of the expensive branded ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, thanks. The exhaust was £320 including fitting. I'll try get a sound clip later to show you the sound of it. It's basically louder and burbles more, sometimes it pops letting off at high rpm.

Exhaust spec:
  • Standard downpipe
  • Standard cat
  • Stainless steel cat back
    • Resonator delete
    • "Medium" sized backbox
    • Slash cut tips

Offline GTI DAZ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
  • My Ride: Previous: Mk7.5 Fiesta ST, Current: None, future: MK5 GTI
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 11:28:10 AM »
great work so far, nice start.

im a little concerned about the custom exhaust, looks rather like the toyosport/chinese ones. hope you didnt get riped off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL-NON-RES-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-FROM-CAT-FOR-GOLF-MK5-GTI-2-0-TFSI/383363430221?fits=Model%3AGolf%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+V&hash=item59423db74d:g:198AAOSwH2VaBdd1

Offline MattC

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 07:22:06 PM »
great work so far, nice start.

im a little concerned about the custom exhaust, looks rather like the toyosport/chinese ones. hope you didnt get riped off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL-NON-RES-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-FROM-CAT-FOR-GOLF-MK5-GTI-2-0-TFSI/383363430221?fits=Model%3AGolf%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+V&hash=item59423db74d:g:198AAOSwH2VaBdd1

Turns out you're exactly correct, can no longer endorse my mates company  :doh:

Offline GTI DAZ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
  • My Ride: Previous: Mk7.5 Fiesta ST, Current: None, future: MK5 GTI
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 08:29:29 AM »
still looks an alright bit of kit, been tempted by one myself, just didn't want you paying the likes of £700+ for a custom system, if it wasn't, £320 is a good price if it is the eBay one, £70 for fitting is only an hours labour at a garage, as long as it seals and flows okay its a good buy, great work so far, keep it up and i look forward to seeing more updates.

Offline MattC

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 09:29:58 AM »
still looks an alright bit of kit, been tempted by one myself, just didn't want you paying the likes of £700+ for a custom system, if it wasn't, £320 is a good price if it is the eBay one, £70 for fitting is only an hours labour at a garage, as long as it seals and flows okay its a good buy, great work so far, keep it up and i look forward to seeing more updates.

It sounds decent, fitment is awful though as the hangers aren't long enough and the left tip is sagging.

Passenger side hanger, the washer prevents moving it further to the left:

Driver side hanger (Shot from underneath):

Resonator hanger:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 11:00:55 AM by MattC »

Offline ricky

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 10:48:47 AM »
Hi mate, how did you resolve the fitment issue? did you speak to the company about it?
Thanks
Ricky

Offline MattC

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 02:25:35 PM »
Hi mate, how did you resolve the fitment issue? did you speak to the company about it?
Thanks
Ricky

Oops, just seen this.

Yeah, I resolved it by removing the bloody thing. Getting a refund. Installing a Milltek after work today  :jumping:

Offline MattC

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 09:26:44 AM »
Installed my brand new 2.75" Non-Resonated Milltek cat-back last night in the rain.

Went very smoothly besides the connection from the cat pipe to the Milltek via a reducer was leaking. Gonna slap some exhaust sealer of some sort on after work. :happy2:

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:31:46 PM by MattC »