Make a donation

Author Topic: 2005 GTI Radio Head Unit Upgrade  (Read 1436 times)

Offline obi-nu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
2005 GTI Radio Head Unit Upgrade
« on: September 02, 2020, 12:01:51 pm »
Hi All,

First post but long time reader of the forums. :smiley:

I know this topic has been done to death but I just wanted to clarify a few points and opinions if I may.

My wife and I have decided to keep my MK5 Golf GTI (September 2005, 55 plate) for the time being as it keeps sailing through the MOT which is great. However the basic OEM radio in it is really starting to date the otherwise still fairly modern looking interior (I have the grey leather).

We would like to upgrade with, ideally, Sat Nav, DAB and Bluetooth for telephone.

Reading all the various threads/posts it seems to summarise as the following;

- RNS510 has the biggest screen and is arguably the nicest looking but no BT or DAB (unless buying one with DAB at high cost and if you can find). If it has the latest firmware the Can Gateway won't need changing. Not sure if model version/manufacture date affects this too.

- RNS310 doesn't seem to cause battery drain but is a lower spec to the RNS315.

- RNS315 has DAB and BT but with a smaller screen and will need the gateway changing.

We will also need (depending on choice), GPS aerial, DAB aerial and BT mic. Am I correct in understanding these can sit on top of the unit under the middle air vents (so out of sight).

If we need the Can Gateway changing, these need to be programmed (or pre programmed - not sure how that works) to the car? This is tricky to change so better done by someone as opposed to home mechanic stuff.

I'm not interested in other OEM or non OEM units as I think I've whittled it down to these 3 for us.

Could people confirm whether the above is all correct and is there anyone on here that can supply as a package any iof the three options detailed above or can gateway pre programmed for our car and any recommendations for installers in mid Sussex?

Appreciate your responses in advance.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 07:17:02 pm by obi-nu »

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
Re: 2005 GTI Radio Head Unit Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 02:01:52 pm »
So I just had an RNS315 fitted by pashka. Top bloke btw! Did the CANBUS swap and fitted everything.

DAB aerial you'll want on the windscreen or roof mounted. Mine is a cheapo screen mounted and is OK for now. GPS is centred behind the rear view  mirror and I bought a proper VW BT mic to go in the light unit in the roof lining. All works great and much happier than having the bog standard unit with a Parrot Bluetooth unit and an iPhone/3.5mm jack unit attached to it. Sat nav is fine but I prefer my phone for that anyway.

Originally I was going for the 510 but decided against it purely because you had to add bits and bobs to it to make it useful :)

HTH.