Make a donation

Author Topic: Limp mode/dreaded vanes  (Read 847 times)

Offline Bert

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Limp mode/dreaded vanes
« on: September 06, 2020, 05:16:54 pm »
Hi,

I've noticed as I went up hill wide on throttle I entered limp mode with no boost. I was about to use some Mr Muscle to decarbonise the turbo/vanes, but I thought I'd check the actuator, surprisingly it moved well but at the end of travel was sticky/got stuck - interesting.

I moved it in and out with my hand and then sprayed the rod with WD40 and repeated this for a few mins, voilĂ  no more getting stuck.

Took it for a drive and holy chit, I can hear the turbo spoon sooner and it pulls hard through the gears. First was weak sauce before, second was meh, now it's wayyyy better in first and second so guessing I'm boosting properly.

I realise this may not be enough so will do Mr muscle treatment if I enter limp, an Italian time seems to come natural to me so I'm banking on that for now, also dumped ultimate diesel and Wynn's extreme diesel cleaner in to help things along. Will report back if it goes back into limp.

Offline kevster996

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Limp mode/dreaded vanes
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 11:49:55 pm »
Good luck it stays good - I just took the turbo off mine and stripped down to clean, it wasnt too bad, actuator arm was free but the actuator felt a bit crappy so ordered a new one. Mine has been in and out of limp mode for a while, only error code last time was the fuel temp sensor so I changed that, wiring a bit iffy to it too.

just did egr and cooler delete so a bit of weight saved there!

Fingers xd it runs smooth when its all back together!
Golf 5 2005, 2.0 TDI 4motion, remapped to 175bhp, lowered on eibach springs, GTI front end, GTI half leather interior