Make a donation

Author Topic: Jap Imports  (Read 8502 times)

Offline WolfsburgEd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Jap Imports
« on: February 28, 2016, 04:58:46 pm »
I've seen a nice Mk5 come up for sale which is a Jap import.

Is anybody aware of what if any differences there would be to a regular UK / European model?

I'm thinking of speedo?

I'm guessing the benefits of an import are the lack of salt-road winters.
Her Car - '10 Tiguan Summit Oscarli St1 + DTUK Pedalbox

His Car - '09 Saab 9-5 2.3 Aero St4+ 320ps

Spare Car - '05 GTI dsg 5dr

Offline jimmy-s3

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Jap Imports
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 05:27:56 pm »
Is the car you've seen a Pirelli Edition by any chance??

Offline deedaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 06:03:14 pm »
Hello

I just bought one from auto-trader, a few weeks ago, it was very quick purchase as I wanted an automatic car and got a little excited. At the time didn't know much about the DSG, or what to look out for in Japanese imports, so made a few mistakes, but on the whole it was a good purchase, the engine is sound and clean, body work in good shape, that said I’ve had sort out a few things, and some have been really annoying.

1. Speed clock was in KPH, so had to buy a MPH one. Found one on this site and RetroRaz fitted it for me. (Requires vag-com/coding) (VW dealer wanted to charge me £630 + vat + Labour + Surcharge for the speed clock...Luckly I found this site and joined and got for £45....), if you don’t change the clock is becomes really annoying when you try to gauge your speed.
2. No Alarm for some reason, so had to get a new one fitted.
3. Service Book is in Japanese, so you can’t work out what was done. I'm now going through a full service, cam belt change, etc.
4. The stereo is a Pioneer, has Sat Nav, MPS, Video etc., but it’s all in Japanese and cannot be converted into English, so another project to change it.
5. I've since bought a Vag-com adapter, and luckily I don’t have any serious faults. It’s worth buying one and checking the car before, could save you a lot of money in the long run. I had not idea what this device was beforeing joining this site.

In all I have been luckily, but won’t buy like that again, being VW/noob, this site has been great in helping me sort bits out and pick up information.

Hope this helps a little, my 2 cents as a VW/noob.

Offline WolfsburgEd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 07:43:12 pm »

Maybe  :happy2:

Looking for a really tidy Ed30 / Pirelli Ed to replace the 'Std' '05 Gti for the missus.

Offline prp74

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 07:45:12 pm »

The yellow one? It's on autotrader as well
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline WolfsburgEd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 07:47:46 pm »
Hello

I just bought one from auto-trader, a few weeks ago, it was very quick purchase as I wanted an automatic car and got a little excited. At the time didn't know much about the DSG, or what to look out for in Japanese imports, so made a few mistakes, but on the whole it was a good purchase, the engine is sound and clean, body work in good shape, that said I’ve had sort out a few things, and some have been really annoying.

1. Speed clock was in KPH, so had to buy a MPH one. Found one on this site and RetroRaz fitted it for me. (Requires vag-com/coding) (VW dealer wanted to charge me £630 + vat + Labour + Surcharge for the speed clock...Luckly I found this site and joined and got for £45....), if you don’t change the clock is becomes really annoying when you try to gauge your speed.
2. No Alarm for some reason, so had to get a new one fitted.
3. Service Book is in Japanese, so you can’t work out what was done. I'm now going through a full service, cam belt change, etc.
4. The stereo is a Pioneer, has Sat Nav, MPS, Video etc., but it’s all in Japanese and cannot be converted into English, so another project to change it.
5. I've since bought a Vag-com adapter, and luckily I don’t have any serious faults. It’s worth buying one and checking the car before, could save you a lot of money in the long run. I had not idea what this device was beforeing joining this site.

In all I have been luckily, but won’t buy like that again, being VW/noob, this site has been great in helping me sort bits out and pick up information.

Hope this helps a little, my 2 cents as a VW/noob.

Thanks - useful.

Wouldn't have immediately thought about the alarm but maybe Pirelli Ed's were all off the same line so are all the same in that respect?

As you say, a full major service would probably be a wise call with DSG fluid change as well.

Are these engines belt or chain? I forget.

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 07:48:59 pm »
Belt

Offline WolfsburgEd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 07:50:35 pm »

The yellow one? It's on autotrader as well

Yes - I'd decided a few weeks back that if a decent one came up then even if it were yellow then I'd have it - so guess what colour comes up first!

Narrowing it down to needing 5dr and dsg and sub 50k (current car is 53k) the pool of posibilities is very small.

Not sure that the missus will go for Cornflour Yellow though - its erm unusual. not bad as long as you dont look at the back with the clashing yellow reg plate!

Offline WolfsburgEd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 07:50:55 pm »

Offline OllieL

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 06:52:23 pm »
Did anyone have a problem insuring a Japanese import?

Looking at one at the moment, but not sure about insurance and implications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline andyiseddy02

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2006 Passat SEL estate. 2.0 FSI T.
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 05:33:03 pm »

Offline ClaireSuther

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 11:20:03 am »
There is not a big difference between them. You can take it without doubts. I think that there's a probability that the mk5 made for japanese marketplace can be more qualitative. It may have better materials in it. I'm in doubts now about what car to buy. I surfing every day the jdmbuysell.com and thinking between the Skyline or Mk5. There is a significant difference in price and that's why I'm thinking about it because my budget is limited. I'm gonna read some reviews how much does it cost to maintain a Skyline.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:01:07 am by ClaireSuther »