Author Topic: Please help: MK5 GTI stutter and limp mode  (Read 144 times)

Offline Caymanjp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
  • My Ride: APR Stage I 2008 MK5 GTI
Please help: MK5 GTI stutter and limp mode
« on: September 12, 2020, 04:24:37 AM »
Hello all.

I am a brand new member in need of some help, I’m having a hard time finding the issue with my 2008 MK5 manual GTI. If this is an issue solved elsewhere please link me to the forum and I apologize for repetition.

Long story short my GTI has a few codes, it idles okay but occasionally revs will drop for a split second and a slight pop kind of like a misfire happens. When driving the car it has a very slight stutter that you can notice but they aren’t very obvious. However if you push the car the stutters become severe. Usually around 3000RPM in 4th gear the car will go into limp mode which a restart fixes. If I stay under the 3000rpm area then I can get around quite alright. WOT is not an option due to severe jerks and stutters.

This is a new car to me so I serviced it and replaced plugs and coils in the hopes it was a failing coil but no luck. I really hope someone is able to help me out or give me some pointers.

The codes are as follows:
P0238 Turbocharger boost sensor “A” circuit high.
P0234 Turbocharger “A” overboost condition.
P0442 EVAP system leak detected (small)
P0455 EVAP system leak detected (large)

Could the EVAP leak cause the issues I’m experiencing or is it more likely to be a MAP sensor issue? No shops nearby are able to perform a leak test for me so I’ve ordered some of the obvious parts that could cause the codes. Ie: PCV valve, Purge valve assembly and a new oem fuel cap. Mileage is about 89000 miles. Otherwise I will need to jerry rig a pressure tester of some sort! Let me know if more information is needed and I’ll update as needed. Thanks for any help you guys are able to give!

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!

Offline kodirl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Please help: MK5 GTI stutter and limp mode
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 01:29:56 PM »
Hello all.

I am a brand new member in need of some help, I’m having a hard time finding the issue with my 2008 MK5 manual GTI. If this is an issue solved elsewhere please link me to the forum and I apologize for repetition.

Long story short my GTI has a few codes, it idles okay but occasionally revs will drop for a split second and a slight pop kind of like a misfire happens. When driving the car it has a very slight stutter that you can notice but they aren’t very obvious. However if you push the car the stutters become severe. Usually around 3000RPM in 4th gear the car will go into limp mode which a restart fixes. If I stay under the 3000rpm area then I can get around quite alright. WOT is not an option due to severe jerks and stutters.

This is a new car to me so I serviced it and replaced plugs and coils in the hopes it was a failing coil but no luck. I really hope someone is able to help me out or give me some pointers.

The codes are as follows:
P0238 Turbocharger boost sensor “A” circuit high.
P0234 Turbocharger “A” overboost condition.
P0442 EVAP system leak detected (small)
P0455 EVAP system leak detected (large)

Could the EVAP leak cause the issues I’m experiencing or is it more likely to be a MAP sensor issue? No shops nearby are able to perform a leak test for me so I’ve ordered some of the obvious parts that could cause the codes. Ie: PCV valve, Purge valve assembly and a new oem fuel cap. Mileage is about 89000 miles. Otherwise I will need to jerry rig a pressure tester of some sort! Let me know if more information is needed and I’ll update as needed. Thanks for any help you guys are able to give!

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!
Have you checked the MAP sensor? I had similar issues with mine and it turned out the mechanic never reconnected the MAP sensor after doing the timing belt kit and thermostat.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Please help: MK5 GTI stutter and limp mode
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:03:19 AM »
Yeah similar to above, I had same issues with the MAP sensor. I'd check that it's connected properly and maybe replace if not. It isn't too expensive if I remember.