Make a donation

Author Topic: Standard exhaust cost - Vs stainless  (Read 2931 times)

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Standard exhaust cost - Vs stainless
« on: September 13, 2020, 05:15:21 pm »
News from my service is that I've got a slight leak from the central silencer. This seems like a good enough reason to get a stainless cat back!

These look like around £500 ish. What's the cost of a standard replacement? And what aftermarket stainless would you recommend? Milteck? Scorpion?

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
Re: Standard exhaust cost - Vs stainless
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 05:40:12 pm »
a catback on it's own will offer little performance improvement from standard apart from the noise and looks.
a good low mileage second hand oem catback would be far cheaper
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 09:39:23 pm »
Was in a similar position last year and ended up going for a bcs cat back.

Think a replacement from VW is around £400. Some people have bought Gerlach ones off eBay which are very close to standard and a lot cheaper. You could also try and pick up a second hand one in good condition but there might not too many around.

For the price of a cat back from bcs or miltek you could get a full custom stainless system. Tony Banks in Leeds gave me a good price but I wasn’t too sure of quality/sound so just played it safe.

Offline Bliv79

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 01:04:24 pm »
I was being quoted £200-£220+vat about 2/3 months back for middle & back box from local exhaust places where I live but none of them could get hold of one for a month or 2 so was going for a second hand exhaust as the garage I use was putting a hornet on there courtesy car before I heard about the gerlach option but I ended up having a miltek non res cat back as i couldn't wait. Cost me nearly £500 fitted but glad I did as suits the car really well

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 05:01:42 pm »
Not certain your cost for a rebuild of the stock steel system there but it would be less than a full rebuild using stainless. Although a rebuilt stainless would likely be less than a pre-fabbed system...but then you must trust the build quality of the work of the shop.

Since you are where you will be dealing with accelerated corrosion...I would pull the trigger and get a full stainless system so to last. I paid $1100 for a full stainless turbo-back from Techtonics here in the states and its doing well...even though they use Magnesium Chloride here in Oregon.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 05:05:56 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 05:55:05 pm »
Or, get the exhaust welded and spend the money on a remap.  :evilgrin:

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 37
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 08:48:32 pm »
Or, get the exhaust welded and spend the money on a remap.  :evilgrin:
Not logical or sensible but it is the only answer :happy2:

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 09:54:46 pm »
Thanks for the input guys.

With regards to it not making it any faster - that's fine, I'm not after that, I'm after a pretty tip and a better sound.

As for a weld and remap... I've tossed up the remap several times and I always end up at the same place. I could spend £500 on a remap and the car will feel a chunk faster for a while. Then I'll get used to it, and it will feel normal again. And I'm really back at the same point, just with a car that's putting more stress on the drivetrain.

99 times out of 100 the standard 230hp is enough anyway, adding more power just makes it faster in a straight line but it's still the same car, it's no more special, doesn't handle better etc etc.

The exhaust upgrade is just because the old one is on its way out. The sound and aesthetics can be enjoyed a lot more of the time than 50 extra hp can, in my opinion.

Re: custom exhaust, don't good points about unknown quality and end product.. something to think about.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 02:51:49 am »
Right, I did the tune first. But I was always working toward the K04.
Over ten years ago, when it was just tuned...I did add a rear ARB upgrade and springs. Those two minor mods really help if you enjoy the curves. Two bits for under $500 and they can be self-installed.

I did the K04 in 2010, after having it nearly four years, and with both F & R ARBs, B8s and much more...it does corner at quicker speeds than I am comfortable doing. Meaning, my limit is slower than its limit. Probably a good thing.

But yeah, I get it. One of my favorite cars to drive was a 1973 Honda CVCC my Dad bought new. Was the first year it was available here. We could drive that thing at full throttle all the way to town and back, living in the Oregon countryside, and it was great fun. Then we got a '75 Rabbit/Golf (first year here)...another fun one for those roads.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline BigstickytoffeeGTI30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 10:07:06 pm »
 Had to change my original a few months ago and went for a milltek cat back non res. More than happy with the choice, just over 500 fitted, sounds great under load but not too intrusive pootling around. Much better than stock without question.

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 10:52:37 am »
Had to change my original a few months ago and went for a milltek cat back non res. More than happy with the choice, just over 500 fitted, sounds great under load but not too intrusive pootling around. Much better than stock without question.

I was leaning towards a milltek because they reviews I have reas say that it isn't too droney, or boomy at cruising speeds - would you agree with  that?

Offline BigstickytoffeeGTI30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 06:49:15 pm »

I was leaning towards a milltek because they reviews I have reas say that it isn't too droney, or boomy at cruising speeds - would you agree with  that?

Yes definitely. A nice low growl/burble when cruising which really starts to sing as you push on up through the rev range. In fact the exhaust note changes through a few different notes as you head towards the top end. I am really chuffed with it. I was worried that I should have gone resonated until it was fitted and I tested it, very happy with the choice now.

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 09:28:19 am »
Is it OK on a standard map?. Assume only worth checking when you decat.

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 03:04:39 pm »
Im having a custom tutbo back exhaust done  on nov 11th.cost 1200. Cant wait :jumpmove: