Make a donation

Author Topic: Baffling knocking noises from VW Golf GT TDI 170  (Read 1233 times)

Offline middlerhythm

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Baffling knocking noises from VW Golf GT TDI 170
« on: September 19, 2020, 09:25:18 am »
Hi,

My Golf has suddenly developed knocking noises which seem to be coming from front drivers side, but maybe more central. There are a couple of different types of knocking. Always when the car is warmed up and/or after hard acceleration.

1. Repetitive knocking which (as far as I can tell) changes speed relative to car. Like someone knocking a wooden table at a constant speed.
- While cruising at low speed above 20mph, mostly on slight inclines
- While cruising over 60mph
- It dissapears when dipping the clutch or accelerating

Here's a very short video of when I was cruising at 50mph on a slight incline (sorry about the keys jangling!) 

2. Single knocks/clunks at low speed (under 30mph) when changing speed. Almost a second delay between release/pressing accelerator or braking.

I recently replaced the ball joints and drop links, I had a tough time getting the old parts off and did put a hammer against a few of the bolts. Not sure if this may have caused it. But it didn't start happening until a few days after this work being done. It was after driving over some rough winding roads at speed which seemed to start the knocking.

I've had a garage check it out and they couldn't see anything wrong with the CV's, struts, links, bushes on either side.

After some reading in other forums, the only thing I've found which is almost similar relates to transmission. But I'm unsure.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: Baffling knocking noises from VW Golf GT TDI 170
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 10:00:32 am »
If it happened after work just check all fixings are tight loose wheel?

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 03:47:26 pm »
i had a knocking on my PD170, it was the flywheel, i knew for a long time it was just didnt have the money to change it, so put up with it for a few months.

mine sounded worse when cold, and virtually disappeared when i pushed the clutch in. if you knocking goes away when you push the clutch in, it will more than likely be your Dual mass flywheel mate.

a DMF can also vibrate aggressively when giving it some too, have a search for DMF symptoms.

Offline middlerhythm

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 08:41:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. After taking it to the 3rd garage to look at it, it turned out to be loose wheel nuts! I’m sure I tightened them and double checked. Oops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 08:44:29 pm »
easy done luckily no damage