Make a donation

Author Topic: Interior Door Handle Illumination  (Read 10639 times)

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
Re: Interior Door Handle Illumination
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 10:08:13 pm »
Glad you managed to get it sorted mate.

Which pin outputs did you end up using for your module? :)
Pin 26, did try pin 17 as I read somewhere people using that too, but that seemed to keep the led on even when I switched headlights off...
Pin 21 for ground was taken already so I spliced into the ground wire for the door exit lights.
Apparently pin 22 can be used for ground too....but didn't bother attempting

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
Interior Door Handle Illumination
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 10:26:35 am »
Basic guide, I’m not good at writing these things, if anything doesn’t make sense then drop me a message and I’ll be more than happy to help

Sorry for the lack of pics in advance!

Things I used: (example links)

3MM pre wired flat top led
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F130919847226

3MM led holder
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F131217993374

I also used some wire connectors to save me removing the pins from the module if I have to take the door cards off in the future.
I did have these connectors on there first but removed for snap in ones

No pics of the new connectors connected but you’re literally just wiring red to red and black to black, solder them and heatshrink.

You will need the wire pins to install into the door module connector, no link sorry, see pic

As far as tools go, whatever you need to open the door cards etc, a drill, soldering iron. I did use a hot glue gun but optional, some heatshrink or electrical tape. Will require coding so VCDS needed.

Whack off the door cards, I removed the interior handle to make drilling the hole easier but up to you.

Drill a hole, just big enough for the led holder to snap in to

Attach the led to the holder and pass wires through the hole via the top, at this point don’t connect the wire connectors on as they won’t pass through the hole, solder them on after passing.

The led holder should be a snug fit and not go anywhere but I ended up putting a bit of hot glue where the wires come out for extra security.

Reinstall the handle onto the door card. You’ll now need to install the wires into the door connector.
Use Pin 26 for 12V (red wire) and I spliced into my door warning light for ground as Pin 21 was taken, but you can get it from where you desire.
Once that’s all done you are now ready to reinstall your door card, tidy up your wires where you see fit, iirc i ran them alongside existing cables and cable tied them so they don’t ever rattle.

You’re adding 8 to your existing coding for both doors

And as if by magic you now have handles that illuminate

They are not that bright where they distract you, they’ll come on with your headlights and are dimmable via the dimmer switch for the cluster. As long as you install the led in the bottom centre of the handle you won’t get it beaming in your eyes

Like I said not the best guide and again sorry for the lack of pics but it is honestly quite easy if you’re good at fiddling with stuff like this.

Ps if you fish it up, the door handles are only a few quid off the bay

Shout me if you get stuck I’ll send some lube
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 07:21:41 pm by MIJ_JAGGER »

Offline 6waysforward

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
  • Boost junkie
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 11:17:29 am »
Offs now i feel the need to do this  :stupid:
Nice write up by the way thanks  :happy2:

Does anyone know if the pins be the same on gen 2 modules and would i do the same on the rear doors? #moredoorsformorewhoresbecausefamilywagon
Tornado Red GTI DSG

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 12:30:26 pm »
 :happy2: well done, might give this a bash one day

4ndy

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 06:35:23 pm »
MIJ_JAGGER  :happy2: :happy2:

Offline fab5freddy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 06:44:46 am »
Nice work @MIJ_JAGGER 👍

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2019, 11:56:51 am »
Which pins do I use for the rear doors? I've heard people say 14 and 4, however I'm already using those for the door warning lights. Are there 2 other working pins I could use?

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2020, 10:30:31 am »
Which pins do I use for the rear doors? I've heard people say 14 and 4, however I'm already using those for the door warning lights. Are there 2 other working pins I could use?

I ended up just splicing the LEDs into the 12V and GND off the window switch.