Make a donation

Author Topic: Car nearly went on fire  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
Car nearly went on fire
« on: October 04, 2020, 09:16:32 pm »
Some of you folks may remember me from a while back, I use to own a GTI and post regularly. However, a growing family meant I had to sadly change cars as a result of which I haven’t posted here in a while.

Whilst no longer owing a GTI, now own a Ford, I have Not found a forum like this one so I am posting here and hope no one minds me doing so. I also hope I am able to get some advice on what I should do.

My car had a service and MOT done at the dealers on Friday. Was driven the short journey back home.

Today was driving on the motorway and car wouldn’t go above 50. Looked at temp gauge and could see it was overheating. Stopped on hard shoulder immediately. Smoke was coming out from under the bonnet.

long story short discovered there was no engine coolant. The garage have either not put any in or there is a leak. This was not an issue prior to me going in there.

I am going to call the same garage tomorrow and ask them to fix the issue. However, what if they claim I need to pay to have this fixed? Does anyone know what my rights would be in this situation? Thanks for any help.

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
Re: Car nearly went on fire
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 09:38:44 pm »
The (2 prong electrical resistance) sensor in the expansion tank should make a noise and flash an alert on the dash way before the engine gets to a stage where it over-heats, surely the Fords have this too, but maybe not?

I can't think what has happened here if the first indication was the car overheating and smoke/steam.

Hope you find and answer and get it sorted.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 09:41:53 pm by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 09:51:43 pm »
It’s a Ford C Max Grand, nothing showed up on the dash so don’t think it has such a sensor.  Is the engine a write off do you think?

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 11:25:38 am »
If the engine was limited in speed it's probably not good news. Did you manage to get it looked at yet? What was the prognosis?

Hope it's not too expensive.

Stu
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)