Make a donation

Author Topic: Turboback v catback  (Read 4887 times)

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
Turboback v catback
« on: October 18, 2020, 02:25:17 pm »
Afternoon all.
Ive got a golf gti 05 mk5 and getting  a custom made exhaust soon but not sure whether to get  a turbo back or cat back? Not after pop and bangs just a nice sporty sound. Edging towards a turbo back but a bit cautious of having it direct to turbo. Anyone had tb fitted and had issues or any suggestions which it better tb or cb for the golf gti mk5?

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=f5kj43l4t4mekh6fdp8ub88l92&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Turboback v catback
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 02:29:57 pm »
Get a TBE and you'll need a remap so it doesnt throw the EML due to the cat. converter. Something to think about.

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 02:45:55 pm »
Thanks mate. Ive already had a stage 1 remap done so will that suffice or you think ill need it remapping again after TBE?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=f5kj43l4t4mekh6fdp8ub88l92&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 05:04:30 pm »
Yes... unless the map you have on it has it already mapped out. Ask the person who wrote the map.

Offline Danthefourwheeler

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 06:38:36 pm »
I was the same, but I've settled on getting a turbo back, luckily r-tech are going to fit and then do the map straight after so should be sweet. Get those lovely burbles on overrun with  a decat as well

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 06:45:07 pm »
Yeah definitely going TBE. spoke to the guy who done my custom stage 1 and he mapped out cat. All systems go!  :happy2:

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 10:25:14 am »
Yeah definitely going TBE. spoke to the guy who done my custom stage 1 and he mapped out cat. All systems go!  :happy2:
Which exhaust have you gone for?

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 11:42:21 am »
Im going for a custom made tbe. Had a look at miltek and bcs but not much  difference in price once fitted than a custom made one.

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 12:00:31 pm »
Im going for a custom made tbe. Had a look at miltek and bcs but not much  difference in price once fitted than a custom made one.
Ah cool I was about to go for a custom from Deutsch tech, but ended up going for a cobra system decat non res.

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 06:38:18 pm »
You had it fitted yet? Cobra often gets iverlooked by miltek and bcs so be interested to know what ypu think of it once fitted  :happy2:

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 06:48:59 pm »
You had it fitted yet? Cobra often gets iverlooked by miltek and bcs so be interested to know what ypu think of it once fitted  :happy2:
Yeah I was same looking at bcs etc, but intrigued to try out the cobra based on r tech recommendation.

Getting it fitted first week of January, will let you know how it goes.

Alternatively it'll all be on my YouTube channel "danthefourwheeler" if you want to catch it on there

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 07:29:38 pm »
Ah cool I was about to go for a custom from Deutsch tech, but ended up going for a cobra system decat non res.

Mine came with a Cobra non-res Cat back - it was ASBO loud - had to get another silencer added.
It's now bearable, no ringing ears, love the DSG farts, but still annoys pedestrians/old people/children/horses/Vegans...

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 10:04:01 pm »

Mine came with a Cobra non-res Cat back - it was ASBO loud - had to get another silencer added.
It's now bearable, no ringing ears, love the DSG farts, but still annoys pedestrians/old people/children/horses/Vegans...
Hmm I'll have to see how I find it, guy at r-tech specifically said it's not crazy loud

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 08:24:52 am »

Update - yep going with a resonated decat turbo back now, keeping that resonator in just so it's not crazy loud. Will see how it turns out

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2020, 10:23:02 am »
Sounds good mate. Let us know what its like when you get it done :happy2: