Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk6 suspension on Mk5 (Bilstein part numbers)  (Read 1869 times)

Offline WolfsburgEd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Mk6 suspension on Mk5 (Bilstein part numbers)
« on: October 21, 2020, 11:29:23 am »
I recall a while back there was a suggestion that the Bilstein B8/B12 kit for the Mk6 was a preferable retrofit on to the Mk5 as it had nicer valving or something ...

I'm looking at just running B4's but see that there are a range of codes for front and rear and some complete kits.

Has anybody investigated this further / are any of these preferable as a retro-fit?

If I'm getting a St1 remap would it be worth considering the ones from the higher powered Mk6?
Her Car - '10 Tiguan Summit Oscarli St1 + DTUK Pedalbox

His Car - '09 Saab 9-5 2.3 Aero St4+ 320ps

Spare Car - '05 GTI dsg 5dr

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
Re: Mk6 suspension on Mk5 (Bilstein part numbers)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 11:43:15 am »
I have the MK6 B8’s on my MK5. Part numbers are:

B8 (Sport) = Front: 35-158745 & Rear: 24-158756

I couldn’t tell you how they compare to the MK5 B8’s version as I’ve never driven one but I’m more than happy with the ride with the ones above. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WolfsburgEd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 11:00:56 pm »
I got in touch with Bilstein 'help' desk today - what a waste of time.

The basic response to 'whats the difference between the B4 for Mk5 and Mk6' was "this is the part listed for your car". Didnt answer the question at all - didnt seem a 'car' person at all. Didn't get the query.

There are two different part numbers for the 55mm strut - one for the mk5 and one for the mk6 (for front and rear), simple question really, is one valved to be stiffer or what else is the difference. Physically they are known to fit both cars ...  :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Offline WolfsburgEd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 10:13:36 am »
Does anybody know if, as stock the Mk6 shock is though to be more or less firmly damped than the Mk5?

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 10:28:34 am »
It’s softer - as the MK6 chassis is stiffer than the MK5 it therefore doesn’t need to be as firm. I can’t remember the exact percentage - I did a bit of research when I was looking into it and the ballpark figure of 20% is what I remember. I’ll see if I can find where I read that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WolfsburgEd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Thanks - really appreciated.

I'm in a huge dilemma at the moment, as I'm re-building the more for interest that for any intention that it'll be a long term keeper (broken spring forces the issue / I've had it 5 years and with the current situation its not getting much use!!)

I was going to go fairly stock and run B3 springs and B4 shocks. Then I read that the B4 can be a bit 'bouncy' and over gassed.

I was toying with the idea of the Eibach pro spring to get a modest drop (maybe 10mm) but have heard that this with the B4 is again a bit bouncy but the Pro spring works well with the B8.

THEN I got on to the Racingline kit but the general reviews suggest that perhaps the spring lets the kit down so I started considering the .:R spring with the Proline spring...

NOW, I have just gone out and measured my ride height (on the good side at the front with no broken spring and no rotten arch!!) and found that with the soggy old suspension I am, at 637mm, a good 30mm lower than what web searching suggests the stock new ride height should be so I certainly want to be getting a lowered kit of some description as it looks just right as it is. The back is the regularly quoted 670mm (660 one side and 675 the other) floor to arch.

Now my preferred method of measuring heights is hub centre to arch to take out the effect of wheel/tyre combo and tyre wear but I can't find anything using that method.

I'm actually now looking at coilovers to get the height / stance I want - I did  this on my Mk4 V5 and was very please with the JOM units I fitted but I just don't like the idea of passing off a car with coilovers now as they arent exactly serviceable, although cheap in the first instance.

Going back to the original point, I wonder now if a Mk6 B4 with a Pro spring would be about where I want to be for not tooooooo much £££

Raceland Ultimo coilovers / JOM  and FK AK are back on the options list now  :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 04:54:58 pm by WolfsburgEd »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 03:11:18 pm »
It’s softer - as the MK6 chassis is stiffer than the MK5 it therefore doesn’t need to be as firm. I can’t remember the exact percentage - I did a bit of research when I was looking into it and the ballpark figure of 20% is what I remember. I’ll see if I can find where I read that

Normally you'd fit stiffer suspension to a more rigid body shell, and softer to a more soggy shell, i.e. MK8 GTI is a lot stiffer than the MK7.5 GTI, for example.  MK5 is MUCH stiffer than MK4, and so on. 

The MK6 being a cosmetic 'MK5.5' update is unlikely to have had any significant structural changes done to it.  It's more likely the MK6 was softened off a bit based on feedback from the MK5's harshness over bumps, and is more in keeping with it's 'updated' image over the MK5.

As for B4, B6 B8, B12 etc. discussion......  B4 is 'OEM' equivalent.  Stock setup is a soft spring with firm-ish damping.  Firm springs with softer damping is another way to do it, but stiffer springs give a more jiggly ride.  Soft springs cause body roll and wallowing, so it's a hard compromise to get right.

B6, B8 and B12 are identical.  The only thing that changes is the droop.

I'd say the MK6 spec B6 with either stock or mildly lower springs is a good and cost effective choice.

JOMs?  Seriously?  I can't believe Bilstein and that junk are being discussed in the same topic!!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D