Make a donation

Author Topic: Cooling fan  (Read 5045 times)

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
Cooling fan
« on: October 21, 2020, 12:20:31 pm »
Afternoon all. I've had a long term problem with the cooling fans. About this time last year I noticed only the big cooling fan would run and not the smaller one. The quickest way to to sort the issue was to replace the whole fan assembly with 2 new ones. Job done so I though. Both fans now work which is great but sometimes if I was to start the car for less than a minure or 2, hot or cold when I turn off the fans come on full blast. I also run a 12v Halfords cool box for an hour,  twice a week. I've noticed if I plug this in with the engine off the fans come on within about 5 to 8 seconds. Could this be a battery problem?

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Cooling fan
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 05:58:38 pm »
Evening all. Still got this fan problem. Any VW techs got any advice? Now the clocks have changed the problem is worse. I've had to be jump started 4 times when I forget to turn everythig off before leaving the car.

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Cooling fan
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 05:20:52 pm »
Last call for help.

I've now had the car into 3 garages and they can't find a reason for the problem but can see the problem happen. With doors freezing shut over night I can't get into the car quick enough to stop the fans coming on so my battery needed replaced after many jump starts. Since then I've needed jump started 4 times so the new battery is likely on it's way out. If anyone has any suggestions regardless how small please let me know. I'm at my wits end with the problem.