Make a donation

Author Topic: 07 Mk5 Golf GT TDI 140 BKD Tensioner Stud  (Read 1489 times)

Offline LeeEv

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
07 Mk5 Golf GT TDI 140 BKD Tensioner Stud
« on: October 26, 2020, 03:52:37 pm »
Hi guys

Long time lurker, 1st time poster. 😊

I've had the above car for around 5 years and on the whole it's been good to me. 🤞

I had the cambelt, tensioner and water pump changed around 3 and a half years ago by Awesome GTI. I usually do stuff like this myself but I done tons of research on the problems with tensioner stud potentially failing.

When Awesome did the cambelt, guess what happened? Yup, tensioner stud stripped out the thread in the block. This was fixed with a helicoil insert and so far it's remained solid.

My question is, if I replace the cambelt myself next year when it's due, do I leave the helicoiled stud in place, or if I try to replace the stud will this bugger up the helicoil insert?

Thanks in advance guys. 👍😊

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
Re: 07 Mk5 Golf GT TDI 140 BKD Tensioner Stud
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 05:09:56 pm »
I'm not sure what the general consensus is, but I've heard more problems with replacing the stud than the stud breaking due to lack of replacement. I opted to not replace my stud when I did my cambelt and water pump with a genuine VAG kit 5 years/40K ago. I'll be doing mine again next year and will have to weigh up what I do then. I believe Gates make the kits for VAG so may just buy their kit this time. Looking online, some of the aftermarket kits don't come with the stud, so not sure what that says.

A helicoil is a repair to the thread in the block, so I'd say it would be fine if you wanted to replace the stud, but equally fine if you opted to leave it. I think the risk of the helicoil coming out is small if the garage fitted it correctly (with a suitable permanent loctite threadlocker like 271/272 or similar).

Good luck

Stu
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 05:27:32 pm by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline LeeEv

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 10:09:51 am »
Hi Stu

Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciate it.

My general feeling is to leave the stud well alone. It’s been ok for the last 3 and a half years so I think if there was going to be a problem, it would’ve happened by now.

When I replace the tensioner next year I’ll use a little bit of blue loctite on the new tensioner nut, just to make sure it doesn’t work loose.

Where the best place to get a Gates kit from?

Cheers Stu.

👍😉

Offline LeeEv

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 10:21:23 am »
Also, don’t want to open Pandora’s Box here but, new water pump, plastic or metal impeller? Which is better? 🧐

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 06:04:31 pm »
I've stopped recommending AutoDoc for parts as they have poor customer service and send out parts that have been kicking around warehouses for far too long. I mainly get stuff through Amazon or distributors listing on eBay.

Well, reading a bit more some say Dayco made the original Mk5 belts... there seems also to be a consensus that Contitech make very high quality kits and are the first choice for many people.

I went plastic impeller last time (in a genuine VW kit). Some people say the plastic can go brittle and the impeller disintegrate, some people say if the metal pump gets debris in it and jams it won't disintegrate like a plastic pump and will then strip/break your timing belt... I'm not sure what the truth is, but Contitech kit has a plastic impeller and so did my genuine VW kit, so I'd go plastic again. Also, looking closely at the plastic vs metal impellers on the web, the plastic ones seem to have much cleaner mouldings, so maybe that means they will be more efficient and balanced better and put less stress on the seal/bearing?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 06:31:08 pm by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 06:51:56 pm »
Leave the stud

Offline LeeEv

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 11:35:32 am »
I've stopped recommending AutoDoc for parts as they have poor customer service and send out parts that have been kicking around warehouses for far too long. I mainly get stuff through Amazon or distributors listing on eBay.

Well, reading a bit more some say Dayco made the original Mk5 belts... there seems also to be a consensus that Contitech make very high quality kits and are the first choice for many people.

I went plastic impeller last time (in a genuine VW kit). Some people say the plastic can go brittle and the impeller disintegrate, some people say if the metal pump gets debris in it and jams it won't disintegrate like a plastic pump and will then strip/break your timing belt... I'm not sure what the truth is, but Contitech kit has a plastic impeller and so did my genuine VW kit, so I'd go plastic again. Also, looking closely at the plastic vs metal impellers on the web, the plastic ones seem to have much cleaner mouldings, so maybe that means they will be more efficient and balanced better and put less stress on the seal/bearing?

Thanks stupots, plenty of food for thought. Sounds like there's not a massive difference between them. 👍

Offline LeeEv

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 11:36:33 am »
Leave the stud

Thanks Andy, that's my gut feeling tbh. 🤔