Make a donation

Author Topic: Front Anti roll bar bushes  (Read 3789 times)

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2008 Edition 30
Front Anti roll bar bushes
« on: November 10, 2020, 07:23:49 am »
Doing a front bush refurb slowly and would like to do the Arb bushes.
I’ve read it’s a subframe down job to do these, mine look awkward but accessible.
Can anyone confirm the above?
2008 Edition 30, R-Tech Stage 1 plus many other mods.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Front Anti roll bar bushes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 07:44:58 am »
The subframe gets lowered to remove the bar.......then you need to drill out the bolt that holds each clamp together (later replaced with a normal nut and bolt) to be able to open it up and remove the bush.

I suppose you could try and do it in place, but do not know of anyone that has succeeded as sure they would have tried.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 06:10:09 am »
If you’re pulling off the subframe (and needing to do an alignment session afterwards) then you may as well consider upgrading the arbs at the same time.  I also have the racingline suspension and found the ‘small’ H&R arb kit to be pretty worthwhile in both reducing roll and, I feel more importantly, making the car rotate better into corners. Ride quality remains decent and @Pudding was also pleased when he did his car with Eibach bars despite already having Ohlins.

Another good mod whilst you’re at it is the Powerflex engine mount inserts, as that takes out a lot of the rocking and improves throttle response / traction. Lots of these small nudges can make the car more rewarding to drive.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 12:04:54 pm by colesey »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 03:59:30 am »
Agreed.  The Eibach ARB kit is one of the best mods you can do to a MK5, irrespective of what suspension is fitted. 

A lot of folk fit a rear bar only, but you only get 50% of the potential.   Most peeps think a fat front bar = more understeer, but that's actually false.  It's all about pivot points and moments of inertia, and other boring science stuff.  In other words, imagine a dining room table, with a chap at each end trying to twist it, opposing each other's forces.  Obviously the 4 legs of the table translates to your 4 road wheels.  You want two equally strong men keeping the table flat on the floor, rather than one mahoosive hulk at one end, and a skinny latte soy boy at the other.

In other other words.....don't stiffen just one bar, do both.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 11:53:30 am »
Thanks for that Kev. I’ll be doing a full bush overhaul in the new year, but opting for OEM B4s as already on H&R lowering springs and like the feel of the OEM shocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk