Author Topic: Whining sound from left side of engine on cold starts  (Read 124 times)

Offline M

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Whining sound from left side of engine on cold starts
« on: November 19, 2020, 07:17:44 PM »
Hi all

I have owned an 06 MK5 GTI for about 4 months now and over the past week or so I have noticed a noise on cold starts. The best way I can describe it is like a high pitched "wah wah wah" that's in time with the engine; not too loud. It comes from the driver's side of the engine block and goes away after a couple of minutes. The engine also has to be stone cold; if I drive the car, shut it off for 2-3 hours and start the engine again, it won't be there.

Just curious if anyone can suggest possible suspects? I know these cars have a reputation for the timing belt and tensioner playing up. Also open to the possibility of it just being a cold start quirk of these cars that I have never noticed before, in which case I'm an idiot :grin:

I'll try to get a video up soon if needs be.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:33:52 PM by M »

Offline blingsta

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Whining sound from left side of engine on cold starts
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 02:46:03 AM »
could it be the balance shaft cog/sprocket?

Offline Pudding

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 511
Re: Whining sound from left side of engine on cold starts
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 07:58:35 AM »
A video clip will help. 

A lot of German engines use straight cut teeth on the oil pump gears which can be noisy from cold, but other than that I can't thing of anything that would make a noise from cold.

2007 ED30 | Ohlins Coilovers | Revo Map | Plus some other stuff | Is all a GTI needs :-)