Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf gti mk5 headlamp units  (Read 4669 times)

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
Golf gti mk5 headlamp units
« on: November 20, 2020, 12:27:38 pm »
Hi all and happy Friday :driver:
Im looking to replace both my front headlamp units and was wondering if anyone had replaced theirs with the same or different ones and where you got them from? Many thanks and sorry if this has been covered on here before.

Offline GrumpyCat

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Golf gti mk5 headlamp units
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 01:57:25 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I bought a new pair (£123.93) from Ultimate-Styling on eBay; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK5-5-Door-GTi-2004-2009-Black-Headlight-Headlamp-Pair-Left-Right-/302011474651?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Purchased around 15.45hrs, despatched  45minutes later & delivered the next day for an additional £3.95. Really good quality made by Depo & slotted right in no problems.

Top tip.............put new bulbs in before fitting them & don't struggle like I did, take the front bumper off!
Drifting supermarket trollies around the aisles.

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 05:14:48 pm »
Thanks mate, ill take a look  :happy2:

Offline GrumpyCat

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 08:45:21 pm »
You'll need a T25 Torx screwdriver & it will be worth spraying plenty of penetrating oil on the screws holding the headlights for a couple of days before you start. You can spray through the small removable panels on the bumper where some models have the headlight washers  :happy2:

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 10:36:53 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I bought a new pair (£123.93) from Ultimate-Styling on eBay; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK5-5-Door-GTi-2004-2009-Black-Headlight-Headlamp-Pair-Left-Right-/302011474651?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Purchased around 15.45hrs, despatched  45minutes later & delivered the next day for an additional £3.95. Really good quality made by Depo & slotted right in no problems.

Top tip.............put new bulbs in before fitting them & don't struggle like I did, take the front bumper off!

Same as you, although mine are still sitting in the garage waiting to be fitted  :grin:

Offline GrumpyCat

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 11:09:35 pm »
Must admit that I've only done the f/o/s up to now, weather is against me so it'll be one of the first jobs when Spring arrives.

Whilst I'm in the mood for admitting things here's why I had to buy new ones, *hangs head in shame*. My headlights were slightly cloudy & the Internet said you can just replace the outer plastic lens, much better than trying to polish them.
Bought a pair of new lens covers from France & as I broke one of the headlight retaining clips prior I also bought two sets of headlight repair retaining clips. The Internet also told me to put the whole headlight unit in the oven at 210° for 14 minutes to melt the adhesive seal. This I did with the precision normally associated with a bloke, other genders are available etc. Went for a quick wee & on my way back into the kitchen I thought........"Mmmmm, that smells like burning plastic?".
Yup you're correct, as soon as I left the kitchen the headlight must have moved off the block of wood due to expansion (or contraction) & both the front & rear of the headlight resembled that painting called 'The Scream' by Edvard Munch! Anyone want to buy some modern German artwork?
Bloody Internet,pmsl.

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 09:29:47 am »
 :signLOL:

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 12:03:44 pm »
Booked marked for future.
Just wondering if u guys used a sealant to stop the lenses fading if so what one?

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 06:34:54 pm »
Booked marked for future.
Just wondering if u guys used a sealant to stop the lenses fading if so what one?

I probably will. I did the sandpaper route the first time since they were so bad. I've done them with a top up every 6 months or so with just a glass polish kit. However the last time it's leaving marks in the plastic which is why I decided they'd had it and I'll replace with the Depo ones when I get around to it. Any sort of decent plastic sealant should do it I expect, I think it's just to prevent from UV?

Offline slynch23

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 10:02:51 am »
[/youtube]

Save some money and restore your originals

willni

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 07:02:54 pm »
Hi all and happy Friday :driver:
Im looking to replace both my front headlamp units and was wondering if anyone had replaced theirs with the same or different ones and where you got them from? Many thanks and sorry if this has been covered on here before.

I have my Original Genuine Edition 30 halogen ones sitting collecting dust in the garage, removed at 19k miles. If anyone fancies making me an offer.