Make a donation

Author Topic: Wishbone bolt snapped  (Read 7968 times)

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 8
Wishbone bolt snapped
« on: November 22, 2020, 01:33:49 pm »
After a bit of searching I see you can replace the wishbone carrier rather than trying to drill out the bolt.
Question is if I’m replacing the wishbone carrier are any of those bolts likely to snap ?

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: Wishbone bolt snapped
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 07:10:15 pm »
The worst ones are the small bolts that go through the rear bush console and screw into aluminium of the subframe bracket It seems to be a lottery if your bolts will snap or just come out - there is a galvanic reaction between the zinc galvanising and the aluminium.
In the picture below the troublesome bolts are not shown, but are located in top corners:

The other bolts should be OK - the larger M14's go into steel chassis. The smaller M10/M8 go into steel bracket -ARB & steering rack, you should be able to get penetrating fluid in from the top
On ebay: Subframe brackets are £15 to £20 a side and appear to be the same across all Mk5's & Febi do kits of rear console bolts for £6 a side.

If its the Nearside you are working on and its a DSG, you need to install the control arm into the subframe bracket before installation - box is too close, you cant get a bolt in...dont ask how I know and you will need a crows foot to torque it properly

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 08:43:38 am »
Cheers! Gonna have a go at that freezing spray on the bolt as once I get the wishbone out the way there’s prob 20mm of the bolt showing so can get something on it to turn

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 07:28:22 pm »
I had 15mm left sticking out of one of mine, I tried removing the remains of by putting the subframe bracket in the oven and melting candle wax into the thread, and then gripping the bolt with my largest vice grips... completely jammed in both directions - but hope you have better luck than me

If you get stuck and need a replacement quick - I used A1 German Breakers, telephoned them and got them to send the part next day - their shop page on ebay is https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/a1germanbreakers

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 01:17:01 pm »
Nope couldn’t get the bolt out, same bolt on the other side snapped aswell.
So breakers yard it is for the wishbone brackets.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 07:55:20 pm »
Nope couldn’t get the bolt out, same bolt on the other side snapped aswell.
So breakers yard it is for the wishbone brackets.

Hope I'm wrong- but I suspect you are going to find more with bolts snapping.
Considering the time spent: travelling, undoing all 9 bolts a side, the rolling around on the ground in a scrap yard in December and then the cost of the part once removed - I would think it's cheaper and easier to just order them, delivered to your door for £16 a side

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 11:18:04 am »
Nah I ordered both sides on eBay , they’re here now. Job for another day

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 01:00:19 pm »
Anyone got any guides to replace wishbone brackets?
I tried yesterday doing one side at a time but wouldn’t come out,( thought it would just slide out) wasn’t in the mood for dropping the subframe as it looks like what’s needed?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 01:09:52 pm by Rigsby »

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 03:34:36 pm »
You need to loosen all the subframe bolts and lower it to get them out.

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 04:08:48 pm »
You need to loosen all the subframe bolts and lower it to get them out.

So I need to disconnect dog bone mount and downpipe mount or is just loosening subframe enough to get the brackets out?

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 04:32:45 pm »
When I did mine i used a trolley jack on the subframe, took out the bolts, left in the dogbone bolts, and lowered the subframe a little, from memory i didn't have to lower it much. Make some witness marks on the subframe before you lower it, so you can get it back to the way it was when refitting. You will need an alignment afterwards. I believe I also had to lever up the steering rack a little in order to slide the brackets out. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 04:35:11 pm by FJB »