Make a donation

Author Topic: Do I Have KO3 or KO4 Turbo?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline 5280GTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Do I Have KO3 or KO4 Turbo?
« on: November 25, 2020, 03:33:56 pm »
So I just bought a used MK6 GTI and where I bought it from did not have a list of modifications. I was driving on the highway and noticed I still was able to pull in 5th and 6th gear...not normal for me. I was wondering if it had just been tuned, but I had no idea what software was on it! I took it to a Volkswagen dealership and the tech emailed his guy at APR and they said it was last tuned in 2015 and you can do an owner transfer and get the software updated.

I first wanted to go see what it was pulling on the dyno, just so I can have numbers. (see attached photo) I then took it to an APR performance shop to do the owner transfer and get the car updated. On my receipt, this is the tune it shows: APR K04 tune V3.2. Fully loaded: Fully Loaded File:-91 Octane -93 Octane -100 Octane. I am assuming that the only way to have that tune is to have the KO4 right?

Before I updated my software and was on the Dyno the guy doing the pulls said you potentially have a lot more power, I had to back off of the pull because your clutch was slipping a little. I guess I need a new clutch, would that help me get more power? He also mentioned that Mustang Dynos read very low...I don't know what that means. I've also shared a picture under the hood. If anyone sees anything interesting could you let me know? I literally have no idea what has been done to the car, all I know is, it's fast...well to me. How much HP and TQ should I have, does this seem about right? Thanks for all your help!

Well I guess I can't add pictures..Dyno reads 289 torque to the wheels, 270HP to the wheels, and 22.6 PSI boost.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 03:36:44 pm by 5280GTI »

Offline trussingbog5

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Do I Have KO3 or KO4 Turbo?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 07:50:11 pm »
So I just bought a used MK6 GTI and where I bought it from did not have a list of modifications. I was driving on the highway and noticed I still was able to pull in 5th and 6th gear...not normal for me. I was wondering if it had just been tuned, but I had no idea what software was on it! I took it to a Volkswagen dealership and the tech emailed his guy at APR and they said it was last tuned in 2015 and you can do an owner transfer and get the software updated.

I first wanted to go see what it was pulling on the dyno, just so I can have numbers. (see attached photo) I then took it to an APR performance shop to do the owner transfer and get the car updated. On my receipt, this is the tune it shows: APR K04 tune V3.2. Fully loaded: Fully Loaded File:-91 Octane -93 Octane -100 Octane. I am assuming that the only way to have that tune is to have the KO4 right?

Before I updated my software and was on the Dyno the guy doing the pulls said you potentially have a lot more power, I had to back off of the pull because your clutch was slipping a little. I guess I need a new clutch, would that help me get more power? He also mentioned that Mustang Dynos read very low...I don't know what that means. I've also shared a picture under the hood. If anyone sees anything interesting could you let me know? I literally have no idea what has been done to the car, all I know is, it's fast...well to me. How much HP and TQ should I have, does this seem about right? Thanks for all your help!

Well I guess I can't add pictures..Dyno reads 289 torque to the wheels, 270HP to the wheels, and 22.6 PSI boost.

Hi, I tried to reply but for some reason it didn't post so I'll try again!
It sounds like a nice problem to have, I'm assuming you're stateside as WHP seems to be more commonly referred to there, vs BHP here, nevertheless hope I can help - I should add I am not a tuner by any means, just an enthusiast who loves these cars!

I believe for a stock mk5/mk6 GTI with K03, the boost pressure should be 13-14 psi at around 200bhp.
For the k04 cars (i.e. S3, Cupra) they run similar stock boost pressure but put out around the 260bhp mark.

22.6 psi boost seems to be at the top end of what you'd run these turbos at and for a K03 would put you anywhere from 270-300bhp, for a k04 you'd expect to be pretty high into the 300's. This is based on seeing other people's dyno graphs with a combination of k03/k04 turbos at various levels of tune. Of course without the dyno graph it's hard to provide more info. If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend this thread https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16977.0.html

I was inclined to say you've got a K03 there, but taking into account drivetrain losses can be anything from 10-20%, you could well have a k04 turbo! Although I can't say for certain without seeing your car, the best thing would be to take a peek behind the engine using a mirror/smartphone/camera etc and have a look at the serial number on the turbo. Hope this all helps, let us know if you ever do find out!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:16:30 pm by trussingbog5 »