Make a donation

Author Topic: Condensation issue  (Read 9625 times)

Offline Dean24722

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Condensation issue
« on: December 01, 2020, 09:44:28 pm »
nyone having any condensation issues? I’ve got an 06 GTi, got in this morning and all the windows were soaked (actually dripping) on the inside. I have a sunroof so I’m wondering if there is an issue there somewhere. Anyone had this issue before and found the cause?

Not saying it’s 100% the sunroom just best guess.

I’ll take some photos tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Condensation issue
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 07:25:13 am »
Change the pollen filter for a start as this block up and prevent air flow and also check the door seals.

I have had a couple of Mk5's and found the door seal joints at the bottom of the car come away from the bodywork........which then lets in moisture that creates condensation.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 07:20:34 pm »
Standard condensation questions:

Was it sunny following a cold night?

Had a windscreen replacement recently?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dean24722

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 07:24:06 pm »
It was, however the amount of condensation was unreal, every windows was dripping wet inside, I’ve owned a lot of cars and never seen anything like it.

can’t be sure on the windscreen as it was a recent purchase.

I think it’s sorted now, I think it was just sat for a while, I took it for a 4 hour drive with heaters on max a few days in a row hasn’t happened since so fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 06:21:23 am »
Same as mine mate  I've owned my car 6 years and it's had 3 windscreens, numerous pollen filters, diligent leak checks - all good.

It literally only happens over winter when the morning sun heats the car up after a cold night.  Black car parked outside on a south facing drive.  Sh1t happens.

I just live with it and keep a chamois in the glove box it happens so infrequently.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 07:33:36 am »
Still check the door rubber seals at the bottom of each.

My wife's mk5 suffered badly and it stopped when I sorted these out.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 06:41:52 pm »
Checked my seals today and they seem OK.  Will any issues with those be obvious?  They seem securely attached with no holes or rips.  Pollen filter looked OK as well.

One thing I did notice is the sunroof seems to be sitting proud of the roofline.  It was flush when I bought the car but over the years it seems to be slowly making a bid for freedom.  Could be another source of water ingress.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 07:21:23 am »
My car has a tendency to steam up quite easily in Winter though I don’t get condensation like described here. I do wonder if it might be the lower window/door seals having deteriorated and letting some moisture in?

Offline OldGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 02:28:08 pm »
Checked my seals today and they seem OK.  Will any issues with those be obvious?  They seem securely attached with no holes or rips.  Pollen filter looked OK as well.

One thing I did notice is the sunroof seems to be sitting proud of the roofline.  It was flush when I bought the car but over the years it seems to be slowly making a bid for freedom.  Could be another source of water ingress.

Do these cars have sunroof drains? I do not have a sunroof on mine so cannot check but most do and it is nearly always the reason for an issue with water leaks as the drains become blocked or the pipes that connect to them shrink with age and become unattached behind the trims. 

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 06:16:05 pm »
They do indeed.  I think the drain tubes live behind the arch liners though, so not a quick check unfortunately.

Offline OldGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 09:06:46 pm »
They do indeed.  I think the drain tubes live behind the arch liners though, so not a quick check unfortunately.

Maybe open the sunroof and pour some water in the sunroof gutter. If it stays there in a pool get the strimmer wire out and gently feed it down the drain or put some kind of tube on the hole and gently blow down the drain. If it runs away and does not appear under the car somewhere you will have to act like Columbo and find where it is going :) Ho and one more thing (See what I did there) maybe get a new sunroof seal?