Make a donation

Author Topic: New mk5 owner with lots of questions!  (Read 17516 times)

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
New mk5 owner with lots of questions!
« on: December 20, 2020, 05:41:23 pm »
Hi everyone, just bought my first GTI after wanting one for some time. The car is a 2008 5 door dsg Japan import in Candy white. It's done 99k miles with almost full service history with loads of paperwork from Japanese VW dealers. The guy who imported it owned it a year and had the following done with invoices;

DSG service
Cambelt and water pump
Cam follower
Stage 1 remap by EST performance (262 bhp)
Ramair JSK101 induction kit
Coded sweeping indicators
Some sort of aftermarket exhaust and sports cat
Alloys (Balo B1 black)
4 Michelin PS4's

Spec wise it has cloth seats (hardly any wear) and Xenon's. Also has an aftermarket pioneer stereo which is selling for £320 at Halfords still. However this needs a wiring harness or so I'm told.
I bought it at £3500 as it has just failed an mot on emissions. It does still have a valid mot though for another 3 weeks.

Good points are service history stacks up, no rust whatsoever and very clean inside and out.

Now bad points is obviously the emissions issue. Any ideas what this could be caused by?

The exhaust is mega loud, and i need to do away with it. Would going back to standard system help get it through the mot? Appears to be driving well and made the 3 hour trip home today with no issues. If anyone has a standard one for sale or can point me in the direction of one that would be great as I'm having trouble.

Also the Black Balo B1 alloys are not for me. Again if anyone is interested in a swap for something original let me know. They are in decent condition but with some kerb rash.

Ramair JSK101 kit is not for me either and will be going.

I am also considering getting the remap deleted as it's just a bit too quick for my liking tbh (I'm coming from a 80bhp 207) and I think the standard 197 would be just right for what I want.

The car has been debadged at the front, does the circular badge holder only come as part of the grill or can you buy seperate (having trouble finding them).

Also want to change the number plates to UK style as they are the squarish jap ones, front is easy but back looks like it would need whole new rear body section (can it be done another way?)

Will also be looking to get rear bumper painted, any idea how much this should cost?

Thanks for any help 👍

Offline EnglandUK

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
Re: New mk5 owner with lots of questions!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 02:12:10 pm »
Hi there and welcome, I’m also on PH and saw your post. I have just bought a mk5 two weeks ago too so I am on the same journey. Good luck getting the emissions issue sorted, could just need a good run before mot time. Where are you based?

The front badge holder is part of the grill, they are a cheap bit to get and easy to replace, a torx bit on each side at the top and then it pops out, good vids on YouTube.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-VW-Golf-5-MK5-V-GTI-Front-Main-Centre-Bumper-Grille-2003-2009-/254129990386?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 02:15:21 pm by EnglandUK »

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 06:19:41 am »
Hi there and welcome, I’m also on PH and saw your post. I have just bought a mk5 two weeks ago too so I am on the same journey. Good luck getting the emissions issue sorted, could just need a good run before mot time. Where are you based?

The front badge holder is part of the grill, they are a cheap bit to get and easy to replace, a torx bit on each side at the top and then it pops out, good vids on YouTube.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-VW-Golf-5-MK5-V-GTI-Front-Main-Centre-Bumper-Grille-2003-2009-/254129990386?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Hi mate, thanks for replying and good luck with your mk5. How are you finding it so far?

Thanks for info re grille, I actually realised this and now have the grille you linked sitting here ready to go on (looks like previous owner fitted a modified grille without the badge holder so if anyone is looking for one of these let me know). Problem I have now is finding the correct VW emblem to go in it. Only one I can find on eBay is £40 which seems a bit steep. Does anyone know if I can get one cheaper elsewhere? Same goes for the rear GTI lettering, best I've found is £35 on ebay.

Offline Sal777

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 12:02:50 pm »

Hi mate!

How you finding your new car? :happy2:

I've got a set of 17" monza alloys with contact sport tyres on them if you fancied a swap?

Offline OldGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 01:40:27 pm »
Welcome you are going to love that car.

I got a new rear gti badge from VW for around £26 (I think) so maybe try them as a lot of little bits on ebay are more expensive then going direct.

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 50
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 03:50:47 pm »
welcome to the VW scene - I'm interested in your ramair, Wheels and perhaps exhaust.

Ive got standard bits which you may like. PM me :)
Recently back on the forum! Good to be back
Current Rides
Mazda RX8 231bhp ( very different little rocket lol!)
----
SOLD
2011 Golf MK6 1.4 TFSI R20/GTI Hybrid - DSG converted *world first!*
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2008 Edition 30
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 07:32:00 pm »
De catted I expect, worth checking this.
2008 Edition 30, R-Tech Stage 1 plus many other mods.

Offline Carpy25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 40
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 08:05:07 pm »
Lots to do just a word of caution, when you fail an MOT the remaining time on the old mot is void as the car isn’t road worthy, it’s the same if your stopped by the police for a bad tyre and need a stamp for an mot station when you replace it so be careful driving it as your insurance won’t be valid either

Good luck with your new love , great cars had mine 7 years and still smiling  :happy2:

Rob

Offline andyjbee

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 12:22:39 pm »
Hi all, just joined, I have a similar spec as the OP, the garage I bought it from told me to run to temp before emissions test as it will more than likely fail.

Offline EnglandUK

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 08:22:40 pm »

Hi mate, thanks for replying and good luck with your mk5. How are you finding it so far?

Thanks for info re grille, I actually realised this and now have the grille you linked sitting here ready to go on (looks like previous owner fitted a modified grille without the badge holder so if anyone is looking for one of these let me know). Problem I have now is finding the correct VW emblem to go in it. Only one I can find on eBay is £40 which seems a bit steep. Does anyone know if I can get one cheaper elsewhere? Same goes for the rear GTI lettering, best I've found is £35 on ebay.

I couldn’t reply due to my post count, now sorted. To be honest I have only driven it a few miles since it arrived, there is lots of history with the car but I could not find a receipt for cambelt so I have been terrified to drive it until it’s done, this is booked for the 4th. I also managed to pick up a screw in the shoulder of the front tyre in the 30 miles I have driven it. Annoying as although the tyres aren’t my choice of rubber they are only 7 months old. So once the belt is done it will get 4 mps4’s. I have also got a new pcv and cam follower here ready to fit. Also ordered some millers 5w 40 and a filter so this will be done at the same time as the belt, fingers crossed it will then be a sorted car to enjoy for a while. How is yours going so far?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 08:24:57 pm by EnglandUK »

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 09:06:16 am »
Lots to do just a word of caution, when you fail an MOT the remaining time on the old mot is void as the car isn’t road worthy, it’s the same if your stopped by the police for a bad tyre and need a stamp for an mot station when you replace it so be careful driving it as your insurance won’t be valid either

Good luck with your new love , great cars had mine 7 years and still smiling  :happy2:

Rob

Hi mate sorry for the late reply only just had my account approved. I thought the same as you re mot but it turns out your current mot is only invalid if you get a serious fail. In this case the emissions fail meant my current mot was still valid. Saying that it has now ran out and i still don't know whether it has a sports cat or decat, will find out tomorrow as it is booked in the garage.

Really hope I enjoy the car as I've wanted one for years but first impressions I'm finding the dsg a little boring, hopefully this will change once I get the car sorted and start using the paddles.

Offline brian_badonde

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 09:10:13 am »
The exhaust is mega loud, and i need to do away with it. Would going back to standard system help get it through the mot? Appears to be driving well and made the 3 hour trip home today with no issues. If anyone has a standard one for sale or can point me in the direction of one that would be great as I'm having trouble.

Almost certainly it will, depending on the cat (or lack thereof) it has. You got the printout of the Lambda readings from the MOT? Can at least rule anything more sinister out but if it's driving ok with no check engine light then I'm sure it's fine.

Your options for exhausts are pretty broad but OEM can be tricky to get hold of now. Mine failed its MOT a few years ago due to the downpipe having rusted through on the original mild steel exhaust. My mechanic and I looked at options and it worked out more expensive to get an OEM replacement than aftermarket, so I ended up getting a full Milltek turbo-back system. It's resonated and it's essentially no louder than stock but sounds much nicer and allows more from a map if that's what you're after. It's also stainless steel so will inevitable last longer than OEM too.

FYI when you do change the exhaust you'll probably need to change or remove the map at the same time depending on what you put on there instead.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 08:07:37 pm »

Almost certainly it will, depending on the cat (or lack thereof) it has. You got the printout of the Lambda readings from the MOT? Can at least rule anything more sinister out but if it's driving ok with no check engine light then I'm sure it's fine.

Your options for exhausts are pretty broad but OEM can be tricky to get hold of now. Mine failed its MOT a few years ago due to the downpipe having rusted through on the original mild steel exhaust. My mechanic and I looked at options and it worked out more expensive to get an OEM replacement than aftermarket, so I ended up getting a full Milltek turbo-back system. It's resonated and it's essentially no louder than stock but sounds much nicer and allows more from a map if that's what you're after. It's also stainless steel so will inevitable last longer than OEM too.

FYI when you do change the exhaust you'll probably need to change or remove the map at the same time depending on what you put on there instead.

Hi mate, thanks for the reply, I've still not got anywhere with this.

Cars been parked up since the mot lapsed on Tuesday so hoping to get it sorted this weekend. So many scenarios though and the fact it's been remapped also throws a spanner in the works.

1. Car has decat, I go back to stock which means finding stock downpipe/cat which is very hard to find as you say. Been quoted (by company that did the map) £250 to put back to stock and £180 (3 hrs labour) to remove decat Downpipe and fit stock downpipe.

2. Car has decat, I change to a sports cat (£350 minimum?) The same company is quoting £150 to map to a sports cat and again £180 to fit.

3. Car has decat, I find a friendly mot tester to pass, or somehow fit a cat to pass then put decat back on. This solves mot issue but then I can't live with the sound of the exhaust as it is. Possible to quieten a decat without affecting map?

4. Car has sports cat and manage to get it hot enough and passes. Great but see above re too loud

5. Car has sports cat and won't pass,back to square one.

Seems like whichever way it's going to be a hassle and major cost. Can anyone say whether going from decat to sports cat will affect the map? Obviously the company who put it on reckon so but I've been told by other tuners that it will be ok. Really becoming a headache lol so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit to say would love something like you have but again it's cost, looking online a milltek turbo back is about £1500, plus fitting plus remap would be knocking on 2 grand, a lot to put into a car I bought for £3500 and to be honest money I don't have. Got myself into a bit of pickle here I think.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 08:27:15 pm by Jons1001 »

Offline brian_badonde

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 08:47:01 am »

Hi mate, thanks for the reply, I've still not got anywhere with this.

Cars been parked up since the mot lapsed on Tuesday so hoping to get it sorted this weekend. So many scenarios though and the fact it's been remapped also throws a spanner in the works.

1. Car has decat, I go back to stock which means finding stock downpipe/cat which is very hard to find as you say. Been quoted (by company that did the map) £250 to put back to stock and £180 (3 hrs labour) to remove decat Downpipe and fit stock downpipe.

2. Car has decat, I change to a sports cat (£350 minimum?) The same company is quoting £150 to map to a sports cat and again £180 to fit.

3. Car has decat, I find a friendly mot tester to pass, or somehow fit a cat to pass then put decat back on. This solves mot issue but then I can't live with the sound of the exhaust as it is. Possible to quieten a decat without affecting map?

4. Car has sports cat and manage to get it hot enough and passes. Great but see above re too loud

5. Car has sports cat and won't pass,back to square one.

Seems like whichever way it's going to be a hassle and major cost. Can anyone say whether going from decat to sports cat will affect the map? Obviously the company who put it on reckon so but I've been told by other tuners that it will be ok. Really becoming a headache lol so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit to say would love something like you have but again it's cost, looking online a milltek turbo back is about £1500, plus fitting plus remap would be knocking on 2 grand, a lot to put into a car I bought for £3500 and to be honest money I don't have. Got myself into a bit of pickle here I think.

It's a sh*tty situation, hopefully you can get it sorted. Sounds like you need to do some fact finding first! When did the car last pass its MOT and had it had the aftermarket exhaust fitted? This is the easiest place to start.

Failing that, can you get underneath the car to get a look at the exhaust and see what it has/doesn't have? I don't know your knowledge level so forgive me if I'm telling you how to suck eggs :-) assuming you can get underneath and you don't know what to look for, post up the pictures here and we'll be able to help.

While the cat will have a big influence on the noise levels, the resonator will also have an effect. If it's a super loud exhaust then it almost definitely doesn't have a resonator. Assuming it has a cat and you can get it through its MOT, getting a resonator welded in will cost far less than a whole new system. Any decent exhaust place will be able to do this for you - it's obviously a risk though as it's money down the drain if it doesn't get it to the volume level you'd prefer.

Unfortunately the best long term solution is a new exhaust which is lots of monies like you say. Short term just try and get it through the MOT I guess. RE sports cat vs decat and the map, it would probably run ok with the map on there but in a perfect world you'd have the map changed to account for it. Completely depends on the flow rate/level of restriction in the sports cat, which can be quite variable I imagine.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 09:11:21 am »
I know it passed its MOT a year ago fine but that was with the owner before the guy I bought it from. All I know is that it's been remapped and I suspect the guy I bought it from to have put a decat downpipe on when he had this done, however he told me it has a sports cat. I wouldn't be able to tell by looking myself so hoping to get a garage to look this weekend. How easy is it to tell if it has a decat, can it be done by visual inspection or will it need to be taken off to check if the cat has been knocked out?

Thanks for advice re resonator etc but as you say I need to investigate further first and I will keep the thread updated. I researched everything about maintenance etc. But overlooked the exhaust, I allowed about £500 max to sort it but I'm now a bit shocked to find out it could be more like £1500 plus! Suppose other option if it does have a decat is to try and source an OEM cat second hand and just swap for mot. Hopefully have some answers this weekend.