Make a donation

Author Topic: Rubbing noise on cornering  (Read 2529 times)

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
Rubbing noise on cornering
« on: March 12, 2010, 08:49:11 pm »
Looking for some insight, I've noticed that when taking a sharp corner (or junction) with a bit of pace there is a strange rubbing or 'stretching' kind of noise - I'm pretty sure its from the front drivers side and is usually when taking a left hand bend / junction. 

There is also a bit of creaking when taking speedhumps etc and only really seems to happen when the car is cold.  This has been there for the last couple of years but the cornering noise is new. 

I had the steering rack replaced about 18 months / ~14k miles ago so it shouldn't be that.  :scared:  Doesn't seem like the same problem / noise anyway. 

There is no adverse feeling through the steering wheel or even the drive, its just the noise.  No noise when gentle cornering or straight at all at any speed.

Any one else experienced this and know what it was?

Car is completely standard btw.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline VeeDubDan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 7
Re: Rubbing noise on cornering
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:19:23 am »
What you've described does sound like the classic steering rack fault. Maybe you have been unlucky and had a second one go?

Second noise is fairly common I think. Mine does something similar when putting the handbrake on when on a slope. Perhaps more
of a "feature" than a fault?! 

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 09:19:35 am »
Perhaps ... I know its not unheard of.  First time the steering rack noise was only evident at low speed / hard left lock situations, wheras this time its high speed situations!  Whats the warranty on parts? 1 year?  Damned if I'm paying for it either way.

Agree that the creaking over humps isn't much to worry about, cars always done it - just thought it might be related in someway.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 09:56:56 am »
What wheels are on the car and are you lowered? The rubbing will be the little arch liner screw that goes to the wing so look at that first

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 10:32:09 am »
Just the standard 17's, not lowered either.

Noticed just now when I'm stationary and 'rock' the steering wheel there is a little clunking noise going on too.

Think its a trip to the stealers, getting the dreaded cambelt changed next month anyway so in for a penny  :sad1:  Hoping its something simple like worn bushes.  The irony is is that it went though its MOT a couple of weeks ago, at the stealers, with no problems, advisory's nada.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 10:47:38 am »
He doesn't need to be lowered to have poke. Strangely, my wheel rubbed my wheel arch while on stock wheels and suspension. Might be a geometry issue, I suggest checking it. Also, maybe you have loose screws in the steering rack. As for the clunking, it can be a loose bold in the subframe. While checking the geometry, also check all the bushings !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 06:17:27 pm »
The squeaking could be dry bushes, especially on your anti-roll bars. It's easily solved.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 09:57:47 am »
Some really good pointers from a seasoned GTi user...  :congrats:

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 08:09:42 pm »
Just to bring this to a conclusion, it turns out it was a loose brake backing plate (the guard plate I presume) which was loose on both sides.  Total cost to fix - £22.50  :congrats:

They did advise that there was a little play in the tie rod ends which is nothing to worry about at the moment but will need monitoring.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant