Make a donation

Author Topic: New MK5 Owner with Queries  (Read 6163 times)

Offline Bennn

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
New MK5 Owner with Queries
« on: January 08, 2021, 01:58:43 pm »
Hi guys

I've agreed to buy a mates GTI, really tidy condition for a 15 year old car (no rust!) and he's known it since new too.

Probably won't make me very popular on here but I've not been a huge fan of VW's and generally anything VAG as I've found them to be flabby, dull and unreliable; however after driving his MK5 my opinion soon changed!

Anyway, the car is a graphite blue 3 door, DSG with the armrest and 18" Monzas. No other options as far as I'm aware.

He's put it through an MOT which it has failed on a coil spring and a leak in the exhaust centre section. He's getting the spring replaced and the exhaust welded next week so bit of luck I'll have the car Monday.

I think the exhaust will be a temporary fix so was after advice on a replacement. The car will be used for me for work, so whilst I'd like a stainless system of some sort I have to go out and meet customers etc so it can't be too loud. Does anyone have recommendations?

I'd be happy enough with a standard replacement but can't find anywhere online selling one.

The car has done almost 123k and has been serviced religiously at VW so I'm not concerned about the general mechanical condition etc. I do however intend to sort out the common fault areas (i.e. DV, PCV and Cam follower) and will likely do all the general maintenance / servicing myself so my question is are there any recommendations of a genuine parts supplier or am I best just going to my local dealer?

I have a TPS nearby, although I've heard they are often more expensive than the dealers themselves!

Finally I think I'd like to fit the multifunction steering buttons as I've had these in most my previous cars, looks straight forwards but will I need to do any coding or anything like that, do we know if I need to source second hand parts or are they not too expensive new?

Thanks Ben

Offline EnglandUK

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
Re: New MK5 Owner with Queries
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 04:07:00 pm »
Welcome and congrats on your purchase. I’ve bought some bits from awesome Gti, good service from them.

Offline brian_badonde

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 01:54:02 pm »
Hi guys

I've agreed to buy a mates GTI, really tidy condition for a 15 year old car (no rust!) and he's known it since new too.

Probably won't make me very popular on here but I've not been a huge fan of VW's and generally anything VAG as I've found them to be flabby, dull and unreliable; however after driving his MK5 my opinion soon changed!

Anyway, the car is a graphite blue 3 door, DSG with the armrest and 18" Monzas. No other options as far as I'm aware.

He's put it through an MOT which it has failed on a coil spring and a leak in the exhaust centre section. He's getting the spring replaced and the exhaust welded next week so bit of luck I'll have the car Monday.

I think the exhaust will be a temporary fix so was after advice on a replacement. The car will be used for me for work, so whilst I'd like a stainless system of some sort I have to go out and meet customers etc so it can't be too loud. Does anyone have recommendations?

I'd be happy enough with a standard replacement but can't find anywhere online selling one.

The car has done almost 123k and has been serviced religiously at VW so I'm not concerned about the general mechanical condition etc. I do however intend to sort out the common fault areas (i.e. DV, PCV and Cam follower) and will likely do all the general maintenance / servicing myself so my question is are there any recommendations of a genuine parts supplier or am I best just going to my local dealer?

I have a TPS nearby, although I've heard they are often more expensive than the dealers themselves!

Finally I think I'd like to fit the multifunction steering buttons as I've had these in most my previous cars, looks straight forwards but will I need to do any coding or anything like that, do we know if I need to source second hand parts or are they not too expensive new?

Thanks Ben

For exhausts, I had the same issue as yourself where the stock exhaust had a leak and failed the MOT. I replaced it with a 3" Milltek resonated turbo-back system and I love it. It's no louder than stock to my ears but sounds much nicer. Others here seem to really rate the powervalve stuff too. As you've experienced you'll struggle to get hold of an OEM exhaust these days.

RE parts, like you say I've always found the dealer to be cheaper than TPS, and you know you're getting the good stuff.

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 05:08:59 pm »
BCS Powervalve exhaust. Exhausts are superb with a lovely sound and customer service is exemplary.  :happy2:

Keeping it original..............or not!!

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 06:49:46 pm »
Hi mate here are the numbers for the mfsw buttons;

1k0 959 537F / J / H
1k0 959 538C / F / E

I managed to get some used ones from eBay the other day for £25 the pair. Apparently they are plug and play if you have dsg.

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 07:34:55 pm »

1k0 959 537F / J / H
1k0 959 538C / F / E

I managed to get some used ones from eBay the other day for £25 the pair. Apparently they are plug and play if you have dsg.
Just to clarify - It is plug and play if you have the paddle shifts behind the steering wheel as the wiring is already there. So you just have to replace the blanks with the buttons. If you don’t have paddles you would need to replace the steering wheel even if you have DSG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 08:18:05 pm »

1k0 959 537F / J / H
1k0 959 538C / F / E

Just to clarify - It is plug and play if you have the paddle shifts behind the steering wheel as the wiring is already there. So you just have to replace the blanks with the buttons. If you don’t have paddles you would need to replace the steering wheel even if you have DSG.

Thanks mate, so were paddles another option then? I thought they just came with the dsg.

Edit: Just read they were only standard from 2006 onwards. So next question on the cars with paddles can you also change gear up/down with the gearstick itself?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 08:20:43 pm by Jons1001 »

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 08:29:27 pm »

1k0 959 537F / J / H
1k0 959 538C / F / E

Thanks mate, so were paddles another option then? I thought they just came with the dsg.

Edit: Just read they were only standard from 2006 onwards. So next question on the cars with paddles can you also change gear up/down with the gearstick itself?
Paddles were options on DSG only so not all DSG cars had these. Yes you can use the gear lever to shift up and down also (I’ve never really used it like this though - I can’t get into a rhythm using the lever)

Offline Bennn

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 07:41:37 am »
Thank you guys, I'm sorry for the slow response, I've had to wait a month or so for Admin to unlock my account as I only had 2 posts before. It is appreciated.

I've obviously got the car now and have sorted a few things namely:

Installed an android head unit for bluetooth and sat nav, actually really happy with this, the sound is way better than the factory radio and it make the car feel a lot newer!
Installed the steering wheel buttons (I did have the correct loom, mine being a 56 plate DSG)
Replaced the cam follower (mine wasn't too bad but the black had worn off, so worth doing but cam and pump end fine)
Replaced the PCV, I had a bit of a lumpy idle which got worse and eventually threw an engine light for lean running, replacing this has solved the issue.

Went to the dealer in the end for the bits, didn't work out much different pricewise to awesome GTI.

Still want to replace the exhaust at some point although its not falling apart at the moment so I'll probably wait till a decent second hand one crops up. Decided on a Miltek non-res and I would like to replace the 18" Monzas on it with some BBS CH's.

There are a few other niggles that I'll sort over time - bits of scuffed trim etc, saggy headlining but I'm just going to be using it and doing these bits as / when I get time!

It needs some general love too - good polish and a service but I'm in the middle of building a garage at home so once that's done hopefully it will get what it needs.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 02:55:47 pm »
Thank you guys, I'm sorry for the slow response, I've had to wait a month or so for Admin to unlock my account as I only had 2 posts before. It is appreciated.

Installed an android head unit for bluetooth and sat nav, actually really happy with this, the sound is way better than the factory radio and it make the car feel a lot newer!
Installed the steering wheel buttons (I did have the correct loom, mine being a 56 plate DSG)
Replaced the cam follower (mine wasn't too bad but the black had worn off, so worth doing but cam and pump end fine)
Replaced the PCV, I had a bit of a lumpy idle which got worse and eventually threw an engine light for lean running, replacing this has solved the issue.

Went to the dealer in the end for the bits, didn't work out much different pricewise to awesome GTI.

Still want to replace the exhaust at some point although its not falling apart at the moment so I'll probably wait till a decent second hand one crops up. Decided on a Miltek non-res and I would like to replace the 18" Monzas on it with some BBS CH's.

There are a few other niggles that I'll sort over time - bits of scuffed trim etc, saggy headlining but I'm just going to be using it and doing these bits as / when I get time!

It needs some general love too - good polish and a service but I'm in the middle of building a garage at home so once that's done hopefully it will get what it needs.

Hi sounds like you are getting there mate (does it ever end though?!  :grin:)

Have you got a link to the android head unit you fitted? really desperate to get a stereo sorted as the guy who sold me my car told me all i needed was a harness but turns out the unit was knackered.

Also what do you need to replace the buttons? i was planning to do it this weekend (i also have dsg with paddles).

I noticed there a few different sets of BBS CH on ebay at the minute, might be worth a cheeky bid...

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 03:16:57 pm »

Sorry it took a while to unlock your post Ben..Any problems contact me directly
andrew.flint@mail.com

Offline Bennn

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 09:48:18 pm »

Hi sounds like you are getting there mate (does it ever end though?!  :grin:)

Have you got a link to the android head unit you fitted? really desperate to get a stereo sorted as the guy who sold me my car told me all i needed was a harness but turns out the unit was knackered.

Also what do you need to replace the buttons? i was planning to do it this weekend (i also have dsg with paddles).

I noticed there a few different sets of BBS CH on ebay at the minute, might be worth a cheeky bid...

Haha probably not.

No problem here is a link to the exact the unit I have. Takes a while to boot up first thing but that's my only complaint!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333753700653

You won't need anything for the paddles just a flat head screwdriver to get the airbag off and a small torch bit for taking out and screwing in the buttons. It's plug and play!

I'll keep my eye on the bay, ideally want a silver set in decent condition!

Offline Bennn

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 09:49:11 pm »

Sorry it took a while to unlock your post Ben..Any problems contact me directly
andrew.flint@mail.com

Thank you Andy.